INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging & YADB for downloaded mp3's  (Read 1181 times)

aarecordati

• nothing more to say...
Tagging & YADB for downloaded mp3's
« on: June 18, 2003, 01:48:53 pm »

Hi All,

I'm a total newbie comming from MM to MC9 and i need help.... please!!
I'm having a few prob's with the tagging function in MC9. For now I've only tried it on downloaded files.
Basically, from what i understand, all I need to do, is to select a song, open the library tools and select "look up Tag info from YADB".
That i do. I get a screen basically asking to proceed and after a few sec's i get the following message: "file information was retrived for 0 of 1 files". (that sounds already strange!)
Unfortunately when I check the file properties window on the left side of MC9, i see nothing has changed.
Am I missing some really basic step and making a fool of myself?  Or is somthing not working?
Can someone please help me understand.
Thanks...
Andrea  ?

Wobbley

• World Citizen
  • What a bum rap for a nice, sensitive guy like me
Re: Tagging & YADB for downloaded mp3's
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2003, 03:21:32 pm »

Andrea,

The "file information was retrieved for 0 of 1 files" indicates that you submitted 1 file to YADB for tag information, and the "0" indicates the number of files (out of the total number of files submitted, which in your case is 1) for which tag info was retrieved.  Thus, since 0 of the files were updated with tag info retrieved from YADB (no info was retrieved because YADB either doesn't have info for that track or the search "mechanism" is flawed), you saw no change in the file properties window for that track.

If you still want a better understanding, try selecting a group of (what you think) are commonly owned tracks and try submitting them (even if you already have the tag info for the files, or maybe change some of the tag info in some of the files you'll submit to erroneous data), and then view the results message.  You will probably see something like "file information was retrived for 17 of 20 files".

Wobbley

aarecordati

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2003, 11:55:54 pm »

Thanks for the reply... that really helped clear it out.
Thanks,
Andrea

JoshuaHorowitz

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say... other than that MC rocks!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2003, 07:07:52 pm »

I think it might be useful to a newbie to note that, although it is obviously growing quickly and does have quite a few tracks already, YADB's mp3 tagging abilities are very limited. Manual tagging (typing in artists, names, etc.) is still often necessary, although greatly facilitated by MC's batch-tagging utilities. Just wanted to make sure this was clear.
Pages: [1]   Go Up