INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 9.1 Mega-Me (no) Skin  (Read 1952 times)

ls

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Media Center 9.1 Mega-Me (no) Skin
« on: June 19, 2003, 06:18:44 am »

I was taking a look at the 9.1 betas and one question appeared: Where ist the no skin Mega-Me mode.  :'(

Has it vanished? Will it return?

Greetings, Lars

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: Media Center 9.1 Mega-Me (no) Skin
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 06:24:58 am »

It's gone for good, apparently. MC is no longer being drawn using the Windows OS. Therefore there is no "unskinned" mode.

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2003, 06:31:54 am »

I'm working on a skin that will look like the standard Win95/ME/2K interface (boring work ... but there seem to be many requests...). Stay tuned  ;)

ls

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2003, 06:55:35 am »

I was seconds before registering MC. Good that I took a look at version 9.1. And I thought I had found my multimedia software of choice  :-/

Skinning at all is useless (for software displaying information in a window). Some might find it nice, but beyond that it adds no further value. Mostly the software only gets slower, bigger and the develover tends to spend more time on effects than on usability. When skinning then this feature belongs into the operating system, so that still all software will look and operate the same.

And regarding the Point that porting to other OS would be more easy. I would expect a nativ GUI on all operating systems.

Regards, Lars

ls

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2003, 06:57:17 am »

@knickelfarz

Will you be able to add a normal windowbar?

Regards, Lars

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2003, 07:05:12 am »

Mostly the software only gets slower, bigger and the develover tends to spend more time on effects than on usability.

In this case, they felt that the only way to create a GUI that was as useable as they wanted was to ditch the native OS stuff and draw things on their own.

Personally, I think they made the right choice. The things that are suddenly being done with the GUI are much nicer and more manageable than anything we've had in previous versions.

And I'm not big into programming anymore, but wouldn't shedding dependence on the native OS window creation make it easier to port the app to different OS's?

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2003, 07:14:07 am »

Will you be able to add a normal windowbar?

There are made little changes in the skin SDK of MC9.1 with every build ... It's still beta!
But I suppose that there will be the possibility for a windowbar  ;)

ls

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2003, 07:29:39 am »

In this case, they felt that the only way to create a GUI that was as useable as they wanted was to ditch the native OS stuff and draw things on their own.

I see no part that would not be possible without creating a complete new GUI.

And I'm not big into programming anymore, but wouldn't shedding dependence on the native OS window creation make it easier to port the app to different OS's?

It is not easier to use the native GUI. But most Applications doing this are the better ones. The look of a GUI is not all. There is still the feel (shortcuts, position and function of typical GUI elements and to know how this all works as every application is handling it the same way).

By the way. I think the greates mistake Opera Software did this year, was to let Opera start skinned as default. And so presenting a software that looks totaly different than the software new customers are used to.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2003, 09:06:49 am »

I have to disagree.  MC 9.1 is natively faster skinned than MC 9.0 was unskinned on my PC.  There si absoultely no reason why the program will not still function exactly the same way as normal windows programs.  It is a BETA.  They are ironing bugs out as they go.  This is only the 6th or 7th build since major changes.  And I don't see any way how the new Media Library and Tagging system could have been created using the Microsoft Common Controls.  So in this sense drawing everything themsleves is essential.  I prefer innovation to a standard Windows GUI any day of the week.  And anyway I think there are a lot of inherent problems with Windows standard GUI Desgns.  Hopefully J River can avoid these by drwaing everything themselves and therefore avoiding MSs quirks.  It may also make it easier to port to Linux as well...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

rocketsauce

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2003, 09:36:57 am »

Where ist the no skin Mega-Me mode.  :'(

Hi Lars! Welcome to the no-skins club. Unfortunately, we seem to be a very small minority of about 3. :)

Rob

ls

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2003, 09:47:14 am »

Hi rocketsauce,

oh, the no skin club is far bigger  ;) but I fear that your are right and the no skin in MC club is some how small.

When I remember the release of the Opera 7 betas with skin only, there was a lot more opposition. They later added a GUI skin that, where it was possible, made use of the native Windows GUI.

Greetings, Lars

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2003, 10:03:03 am »

Add one to the club :)

Although I am somewhat resigned to defeat, Im afraid. I dont care whether MC is skinned or not, but I would like to be able to make it look and act like a standard Windows application.

ls

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2003, 10:36:09 am »

Would be interesting, what couldn't be done with GDI+ and is needed.

Lars

mijkuf

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2003, 04:34:49 pm »

Welcome to the no-skins club. Unfortunately, we seem to be a very small minority of about 3. :)

Yes, and in a land where groupthink rules no less.  Before knowing what knickelfarz was up to, I posted a new thread of my own, basically begging someone to create a Windows-type skin.  I agree with ls' comments on the matter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up