INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panes Resetting to ALL  (Read 1240 times)

Omni

• Citizen of the Universe
Panes Resetting to ALL
« on: June 19, 2003, 10:28:55 pm »

(To spare you readers my verboseness, I hightlighted the key points in red so you could just skim this.)

Okay, this may be related to the left-to-right sorting issue people are talking about (or something along those lines), so this has probably already been asked.  I claim no originality here.

Here's what happened.

I'm using the default Genre/Artist/Album view.  All panes are sitting on <all>.  In the Artist pane, I spot the Buggles.  I select it (because I didn't remember what they sang and was curious), and it turns out I only have one song from them, and it's on a compilation album.

The view updates with one song ("Video Killed the Radio Star"), and the Album pane updates with the compilation album as the lone entry.  (<all> is still the selected list item, though.)  I think, hmmm... what else is on this album?

(Here's the quirky part which I hope someone will maybe find a solution to in a future build.)  I select the album, but when I go to the Artist pane to select <all>, the Album pane's selection reset to <all> as well!  (I end up having to manually scroll down a long list to find the album again.)

Are there any plans to change this resetting-of-all-panes-to-the-right business?  I understand how some combinations might create an invalid view if they weren't reset, but this all can be checked dynamically.

For instance, if I have album 1 selected, and then I go and select artist 32, then reset the album selection only if artist 32 is not found in album 1; otherwise, leave the selection alone.  (If multiple albums are selected, just remove only the invalid selections.)  Generally speaking, you would just do an intersection and/or union of all query result sets, a set being the matches for one particular pane, and each record in the set being all the tag info.  (Or have you already tried this and found it to be too timely an operation?)

Anyway, I know the solution is possible, but I realize it might be difficult to implement, so I was just wondering if there were any plans to do so.

Omni

nila

Re: Panes Resetting to ALL
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2003, 12:07:08 am »

my vote, my vote, my vote :)

lol - wahoo :)

NoCodeUK

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2003, 12:11:15 am »

The reason this was introduced was for image and video support.  If you have a scheme of Series/Series #/Episode # and you have say Futurama/1/7 selected when you change to Simpsons you don't expect it to be on Simpsons/1/7 You expect it to be on Simpsons/All/All

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

nila

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2003, 12:25:24 am »

It can check and use logic.

U were previously on: Simpsons - ep. 7
If you click on all it'll only have ep. 7 selected IF the simpsons are still an available option.
If you clicked for instance on southpark instead then it will realise that Simpsons ep7 is no longer an option and not select it. :)

NoCodeUK

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2003, 12:30:11 am »

To me it is logical that if I change something in a column to the left then columns to the right of it reset... ;D  I cannot really think of anytime when this is illogical...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Omni

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2003, 10:59:02 am »

To me it is logical that if I change something in a column to the left then columns to the right of it reset... ;D  I cannot really think of anytime when this is illogical...

Well, read my original post in its entirety then.  ;)

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2003, 11:29:53 am »

I agree with Omni - not sure if I got my head around all the descriptions, but I believe there is also something illogical and related here, which I mentioned in a previous post. Basically the view scheme panes should work all ways, not just left to right.

Try a view scheme Genre/Artist/Album/Genre. Click on an artist and the righthand genre filters to show the genres within that artist. But the lefthand one still shows all genres. MC is showing an inconsistency.

So, in NoCodes example I do expect what I already selected, eg 1/7 to remain selected, unless there is no 1/7 in which case <all> is fine (think this is what Nila meant).

Hope I got all this right - I think we need pictures here.

sraymond

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2003, 01:04:33 pm »

I don't particularly like the reset either.  While it makes sense in a hierarchical setting (like NoCodeUK's Series/Series#/Episode#), there are plenty of other situations (most?) where the choice of panes is not hierarchical.

I'd argue it's a lot easier to manually reset each column (or add a master reset button) than to reselect your settings.

Scott-
Pages: [1]   Go Up