INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Way To Manage Multiple Artist CDs in Library?  (Read 1044 times)

packyb

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Best Way To Manage Multiple Artist CDs in Library?
« on: June 19, 2003, 03:02:13 pm »

I have a bunch of CDs that are either soundtracks or compilations withs multiple artists. Right now, all of these ripped CDs are in the folder: (Multiple Artists).

I also have an iPod, and when I upload my files, I end up with 100's more displayed artists than I want - as it loads each artist separately. For example, I'll have: Sam Bush, Sam Bush Band, Sam Bush and John Cowan, Sam Bush with Bela Fleck, etc. I also end up with artists that I don't really know because they had one 2 minute song on a soundtrack. This probably doesn't sound like a big deal, but when using the iPod, it triples the length of my artist list, and makes it a pain to get to the artists that I want.

I want to be able to browse by artist in my iPod, as opposed to playlists, etc. Suggestions for a way I can best handle this?

Sundog_AK

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Best Way To Manage Multiple Artist CDs in Libr
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 11:43:48 pm »

I have a Creative Jukebox and I have found no 100% easy solution.  MC does have the "lookup tag info" for YADB but I have found that for someone anal retentive like myself  ;D I still have to fiddle with the tags in MC to get things organized.  

CDDB and YADB do not always fill in the artist correctly (put the album instead of actual artist).  I have tried to always (where possible) put in the actual artist in the artist field.  It takes some time upfront to get it consistent but once you get it done it makes it easier in a player.  Sometimes that isn't the best way, especially for Film score albums where it is a score rather than album (e.g., Lord of The Rings, Glory, Dances with Wolves, etc.) For those I just left the artist as the album title since it is easier to find those types that way (for me anyway)

I have found the easiest way if you do not know the artist is to go to  http://www.allmusic.com/  and search the album.  They have pretty good listing and show who sings/wrote song.  You will still have to decide on how exactly you are going to name a band/group.  MC is pretty easy to do wholesale tag updates to say change "ACDC" to "AC/DC" so that your iPod groups the artist appropriately.    

Anyway, no real "easy" solution other than taking time to make it all consistent...... :-/

Wobbley

• World Citizen
  • What a bum rap for a nice, sensitive guy like me
Re: Best Way To Manage Multiple Artist CDs in Libr
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2003, 09:44:34 am »

SteveG is working on (or has already implemented in latest version of plugin) the ability to copy over the "Album Artist (auto)" value instead of the "Artist" value when syncing the iPod w/ MC.  This way, all of your multiple artist albums will show up as "Various Artists", "(Multiple Artists)", "Original Soundtrack", etc. (whatever value you use for multiple artist albums) on the iPod.  So, when you scroll through "Artists" on the iPod, you'll see, for example, a "Various Artists" artist, and then all the albums by "Various Artists" that you've stored on your iPod.

Does this help/is this what you're looking for?

Wobbley
Pages: [1]   Go Up