INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Solved] Importing + Playing (MP4) Video, Issue(s) with ... Media Type(s)  (Read 2577 times)

ugee

My problem's like that:
  • I've got quite some video files packaged in mp4 container format and tagged with meta data information which I want to import into MC 23.
    (BTW I usually use Subler for video tagging)
  • Since the files are tagged it should be clear from reading the tag information what's a Movie, a TV Show or a Home Video and so on.
  • When I import the files into MC (for testing I use single folder import) MC refuses to recognize the Media Type and sets it to "Data". Nevertheless MC imports the Media Sub Type values from the files correctly.  ?
I know I could assign the Media Type on import but I don't understand why this would be necessary for already tagged mp4 video files / why the correct Media Type can't be derived automatically either from the Sub Type found in the tags or from the files content (video stream may hint to Media Type --> Video ::) )? Assigning a Media Type manually (on Import) will not persist when I update tag values from file which kind of rules this out anyway. So: what shall I do? Or: what am I doing wrong?

And: since the Wiki isn't clear about that - what are the expected / permitted Media Sub Types per Media Types?

Update: changed title

ugee

Re: Importing (MP4) Video: Issue with / or question(s) about Media Type(s)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 08:46:41 am »

... additionally: I've tried to play MP4 videos without importing it into the library (via "Open with ...") and MC complained it can't play "data" files. While it's correct insofar as I've disabled "Data Support" I would expect MC to recognize a playable video file - or not???

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Try changing the Media Sub-type tag for the file.

ugee

Try changing the Media Sub-type tag for the file.
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do here. The files are already tagged (externally) and MC reads the Sub Type correctly. It's "Media Type" I'm struggling with. MC defaults to "Data" for (any and all) MP4 video I throw at it - and this also means I cannot use MC for quick playback (without importing into a library). A pity.   

bMinor

• World Citizen

MC defaults to "Data" for (any and all) MP4 video I throw at it - and this also means I cannot use MC for quick playback (without importing into a library). A pity.

sounds like the problem I had.
make sure you're connected to the internet the 1st time you play a video. MC needs to download extra content after the initial installation.

ugee

sounds like the problem I had.
make sure you're connected to the internet the 1st time you play a video. MC needs to download extra content after the initial installation.
Indeed this (mostly) solved the issue(s) - thanks for the pointer. It's a bit strange though because I force MC to render all videos on an external DNLA device ... so I think the libraries needed to analyze / import files should not be loaded silently in the background but included into the program package when installing.  ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up