INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How bulletproof is the Id?  (Read 1483 times)

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
How bulletproof is the Id?
« on: January 04, 2018, 04:16:56 pm »

Hi,

I'm considering buying the JRiver Id, and I have a question about it.

I love MC and have been using it for years on Windows as an HTPC.  It's great, but like all Windows software there is the occasional glitch that requires abnormal user intervention... Like Theater View gets slow or freezes after running for a few days and MC needs to be restarted, or an audio driver problem requires a reboot.  This doesn't really bother me on my personal server; not much on Windows is 100% reliable.

But my use case for the Id would be different.  I want to use it as a playback-only musical appliance for some elderly people, hooked to their TV.  They can navigate the simple theater view interface for playing music, but any amount of tinkering or fiddling with the software is beyond them, and since I would not be onsite, intervention is impractical.

So my question to Id users is, since it is Linux based, do you find the Id and its theater view to be 100% stable and reliable?  Meaning, can you start it up in theater view mode, and run it 365 days a year, and you never have to restart it or tinker with it to keep it going?  Is the Id capable of running continuously with absolutely zero faffing about?

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How bulletproof is the ID?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 06:07:43 pm »

I'd recommend using Panel, not Theater View, in the case you describe.

I've used an IdPi for days at a time without problems.  A reboot is easy enough, even remotely.

I don't know whether faffless devices exist.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How bulletproof is the Id?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 09:04:01 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up