INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: spotify on id  (Read 2088 times)

dls123

• Recent member
spotify on id
« on: January 05, 2018, 04:26:40 pm »

Hi,
I understand that MC cannot run spotify internally on the id.  I tried using the firefox version on id, but spotify web version doesn't support that version of firefox.  I see on the spotify site that they have a linux beta version.  I will paste the instructions below.  Has anyone tried to get this running in the id?  Any help appreciated...

Apparently they have a Debian package and I know the id is running that.  Here are the spotify instructions.  Can this be done?

# 1. Add the Spotify repository signing keys to be able to verify downloaded packages
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 0DF731E45CE24F27EEEB1450EFDC8610341D9410

# 2. Add the Spotify repository
echo deb http://repository.spotify.com stable non-free | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list

# 3. Update list of available packages
sudo apt-get update

# 4. Install Spotify
sudo apt-get install spotify-client

cheers,
Don

dls123

• Recent member
Re: spotify on id
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 11:05:30 pm »

As an aside, I tried to open Tidal inside Firefox on the Id.  No luck.  It starts, but then requires flash player.  I could not find anyway to add adobe flash to Id inside the firefox that was running.  There are several versions of flash for Linux, and I could download a couple, but not the Debian one.  The others require an app to install.  Alas..... the problem with the Id is that it is hard to add things even if they are available for Linux.    MC sounds great on it though.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 02:18:04 am »

Unless I missed the memo, even though the Id is a Debian implementation it's locked down.

JRiver have done this to ensure stability. That's the compromise you get for reliability. If you ran a Linux instance of full blown MC, you'd have "ultimate" control.

I saw talk on another thread recently of a request of booting the Id to a browser. That might offer some scope for your thoughts here if it's taken up.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 05:46:33 am »

Unless I missed the memo, even though the Id is a Debian implementation it's locked down.

JRiver have done this to ensure stability. That's the compromise you get for reliability. If you ran a Linux instance of full blown MC, you'd have "ultimate" control.
You're correct about it being locked down.

For people who want to tinker with Linux or maintain their own OS, then the Linux version of MC is a good choice.

The Id is aimed at the other 95%.

dls123

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 09:22:06 am »

OK, understood.  I like the Id a lot.  It works perfectly with JRiver in that anything you can do inside MC will happen on the Id.  So, of course you control the Id with another laptop (a windows MC in my case) and the Id quietly sits by the DAC and does its thing.  I can see the Id as an audio device on the windows network, but cannot get any windows apps to actually play to it.   File transfer works perfectly as the Id drives show up on the windows network with no trouble.   I guess eventually I will have to put the Id into service somewhere else and put a windows laptop back by the DAC in the main system.  I was experimenting with Tidal Hifi fidelity on a free trial.  Their highest resolution is only available through their app.  I did a little experiment replacing the Id with my windows laptop running MC and played the same songs in MC (flac) and Tidal.  I am sure I couldn't tell the difference in a blindfolded test running into a Gungnir multibit DAC.  I build custom tube amps and preamps for a living so the rest of the system is very good.  So the streaming music services are now good enough for a source in my opinion.   I just wish I could use them inside MC on windows and have it somehow play through the Id by the DAC.   Oh well. 

I will say the Id excels at what it does.  It is very quiet and you can turn off the monitor because you easily control it with any other copy of MC on your net or gizmo on the phone.  So it is just a little cube with an external HD attached that contains all of the music.  If it could just play things from inside a browser on another copy of MC on the net I bet it would work with the streaming services.  Oh well......

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 12:17:56 am »

If you have a spare machine (or perhaps even virtual machine, I haven't tested) that you can put linux on, you can try this...

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,109253.0.html

It's a bit of work, but it works well enough.

You don't need MC on the machine, and you can use MC on your normal PC to push the stream to another MC instance (i.e your Id).

You can use it to stream anything you can access on the web on the linux machine, but spotify works well because it has a native linux app and you can control it using the mobile app.
Pages: [1]   Go Up