INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Export to iPhone and iTunes  (Read 3672 times)

B17NNS

• Junior Woodchuck
Export to iPhone and iTunes
« on: January 06, 2018, 03:39:21 pm »

Does this feature not work? If I select a playlist or song or album and go "File, Export to iPhone and iTunes" nothing happens?

What I'd like to have is a copy of my playlists on iTunes (so I've got the music on the device when I'm out and about). The vast amount of what I have is Flac so even if the above worked I'd still have a problem.

So I've looked at the add handheld device option. But even though I've told it to change the files to MP3's it's just copying the Flac's across without altering them.

Also I'd like it to sync (which seems to be possible) but if I choose the destination folder as the iTunes Music folder iTunes doesn't see them. I can put them in the 'add to iTunes' folder but then iTunes moves the files meaning a sync is not possible.

I've read this https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Sync_Handheld but none of it seems to work.

Any help appreciated.

apk2112

• Recent member
Re: Export to iPhone and iTunes
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 05:32:22 pm »

This doesn't work on my Mac either. Any help or update on when it might be functional would be appreciated.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 07:53:43 pm »

Are you using the 64bit version of MC? Also please remind me which specific version of MC you are using. i.e. MC23.0.102?

I used to use this function and it worked fine. But I haven't used it in a long while since I only use an old iPhone to play music to calm my dogs at night. No need to update those as the dogs don't complain about the selection!  ;D

But I don't know if that function works on the 64bit version of MC. Handheld Sync didn't work on the 64bit version, and this is sort of related, so maybe it doesn't. But then we have this;

23.0.82 (11/13/2017)
15. Changed: Enabled support for Handheld devices which expose a drive letter in Media Center 64-bit (ie. USB thumb drives, portable music players or phones with a single storage volume).

So I just checked and Handheld sync to a directory on a hard drive works fine in MC23.0.102. So one way to get music on to an iPhone is to sync files to a directory on your hard disk, with conversions if required, then import these into iTunes and sync that to your iPhone. That process still allows you a lot of control over what you sync to the hard drive to then be synced with iTunes > iPhone. Better than just copying files to a directory for import into iTunes or something similar. Depending on your media file formats, the conversion capability alone makes it worth using.

What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 08:13:31 pm »

Just for the heck of it I tried to sync a new playlist to iTunes, but not my old iPhone. There first thing that happens is this dialogue is displayed, and iTunes is loaded in the background. You will note that it mentioned the "iTunes SDK" (Software Development Kit). So that may be something that needs to be installed separately before this function works. I don't recall if I installed that or not. Probably did, but it isn't listed separately as an installed App in Windows 10.

When I checked iTunes the three Albums in the Playlist and all their files were in iTunes and played correctly.

So the "Export to iPhone and iTunes" function is indeed working. Perhaps search the forum for posts by Glynor that mention "iPhone". He wrote some great stuff.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

B17NNS

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 08:08:57 am »

Does absolutely nothing for me.

Select a file, group of files or a playlist and click Export to iTunes and iPhone. Nothing happens.

MC 23.0.103

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 01:24:58 pm »

Can you tell if MC tries to do something in the background? Perhaps a CPU blip in Task Manager?

Do you have the "iTunes SDK" installed?

Otherwise, it is a bit of a mystery.

gilzur

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 07:27:11 pm »

My experience is that this feature has never worked on any Mac version of Media Center.
I have posted several times about this and never received a response.
Not sure why RoderickGI is referencing Windows 10, this is a MC 23 Mac problem.

The feature works perfectly with the Windows version of MC 23, I use it all the time.
Would be nice to see this fixed in the upcoming release of MC 24 for Mac.
Pages: [1]   Go Up