INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple home computers (whole house audiio)  (Read 2060 times)

vantassel

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Multiple home computers (whole house audiio)
« on: July 26, 2003, 08:13:33 am »

The media server is a nice feature, but does anyone know how to play the songs through the server computers sound card?  The idea is to control what is being heard throughout the house on a centralized whole house audio system.  The media server looks to be designed only for streaming the digital data to remote computers, and then played on those computers.  I'm concerned that even if this feature exists or is added that I would have to buy a separate license for each computer.  I have six computers in my house and I'd prefer not to pay six times when 5 of the computers would simply be used as a client to control what is being played through my whole house audio system.  Any thoughts or recommendations (possibly even another product) would be appreciated. Regards, Bob

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: Multiple home computers (whole house audiio)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2003, 08:04:28 pm »

See this.

For your setup, you would find Media Center more capable for the job.

Rx

vantassel

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2003, 08:57:01 pm »

Thank you Rx.  I downloaded the Net Remote plugin from http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/downloads/plugins.pl?type=10&start=0&end=10&page=1, and I installed it on both the client and server.  However when I set my browser to the IP of interest I get "You are not using a standard Music01 protocol to access this server."

Looking at a post from earlier this month, someone suggests that this interface is "crappy" and needs to be fixed.  Is this plugin in working with version 8?

Thanks, Bob

vantassel

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2003, 09:57:01 am »

I'm replying to my own post incase someone else is struggling with NetRemote.  The 8080 port number wasn't working for me because I didn't realize that one has to start the "NetRemote Server" manually even after one installs and turns on the plugin.  Why would anyone install the NetRemote plugin, start the plugin and not want the server to start?  It also looks like one has to manually start the server everytime they launch MJ.

The larger question and why I was confused in the first place is why create yet another server, when the Media Server already exists and does half of what the remote server needs to do?  Why not just beef up the Media Server (MS) with a switch that instead of streaming songs allows you to control songs remotely?

When I finally got my browser to work with the NetRemote server I was able to control the Jukebox on the server with the very primitive html interface.  Again, why not have the same cool interface that MJ/MS on the client side offers?  

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2003, 04:00:25 pm »

If you haven't done so yet, please download Media Center 9.0 from this page:

www.jrmediacenter.com

It has the server built in, so you don't need to install the plug-in.  

Then follow the instructions you find with NetRemote on
www.netremote.org

Please switch to the MC forum.  You can find it under "Boards" above.

MrCC

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2003, 04:47:55 am »

Let's see if I understand your application, because I think it is very similar to mine.
You have your music on a central 'server' PC where the sound comes from via sound card, piped through your house music system from an amplifier at the server location.
You want to control what is being played from a number of client PCs, to be able to stop, chose next track, volume, add albums etc.

You should look at the Glissando interface (3rd party app).  Search for Glissando in these forums.  It provides a great remote inteface, complete with album cover images of what is playing.

You shouldn't have to upgrade to MC9 to get this type of functionality.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  
Pages: [1]   Go Up