INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't connect to DLNA device a Denon AVR-3312 CI receiver  (Read 3232 times)

LDF

• Recent member
Can't connect to DLNA device a Denon AVR-3312 CI receiver
« on: January 14, 2018, 04:12:50 pm »

I have MC 23.0.94 (64 bit) installed on a Win7 PC.  PC and Denon are both attached via ethernet cable to my home network.  (Denon via a hub in the living room).  FLAC Music plays fine on my local PC speakers (using "Player") but when I select the Denon device under "Playing Now" menu and try to play something I get error "There was a problem controlling the selected DLNA device.  Double-check your device, server, and network settings."  IP address of Denon is correct in MC.  (Playing on the Denon worked before but I have not tried it recently.)  I can right click on Denon and I can get to the Denon device setup page so I know MC can reach the device on the network. I have downloaded and run the Whitebear Renderer Tests but am not fully sure how to interpret the results.  I have looked at network sharing->Media streaming options and the Denon is set to be allowed for all media types. I also looked at the Windows firewall settings and everything starting with Media Center is allowed. I have rebooted the computer. First I tried a flac file but since I am not sure that is supported I tried an mp3 file.  Neither worked from MC, same error. (Note that I can play mp3 files from iTunes, receiver supports Airplay....)  Whitebear report is attached.

OK heck.  I figured it out and wanted to post details here in case it helps others.  1. My Denon will not play FLAC apparently,only mp3.(boo!)  2. You must right click on Denon in the Playing Now window and select "Show Device Webpage".  On the browser window that opens you must "source select" the NET USB input to get to the configuration you need.  Then make sure it is set to accept the generic DLNA commands.  3. Now select your music and right click then select to Send To Denon.

But I don't use JRiver to manage any mp3 music, only FLAC.  So, until I upgrade my Denon to something that will play FLAC files I will keep using my PONO player in the living room to connect to my Denon and play hi-res.  Hope this is helpful to someone.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can't connect to DLNA device a Denon AVR-3312 CI receiver
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 05:22:19 pm »

Your attached renderer report is incomplete but nevertheless following are two things you should do..

1. Right click on the renderer, DLNA settings, Ignore Transport Events
2. In the MC DLNA server Audio settings, select Always Convert, L16 No Header

If that doesn’t work, please try running the DMRA again to get a full report, and post that report here..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

LDF

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 08:37:09 pm »

Thanks for your quick reply.... almost with you.   Initially I did not find the L16 No header setting but set all the others and saved.  When I opened the Generic DLNA setting again I found the Audio: Formats configuration and i found and selected "L16 no header".  The Advanced settings show all audio formats being selected to convert.

I want the music to go over in whatever sample rate I have the music stored in. I have some FLAC files that are from CD rips and some that are hi-res 192kHz/23bit files. 

I ran the analysis again and during the test I heard your sound file.  Both files are attached.  If I play a FLAC file I ripped from a CD it will play.  But if I play a hi-res 192kHz/24bit FLAC file I see the time go from 0 to 5 secs like it tries to play but no sound comes out then it stops trying.  I have music in this sample rate because I play them on my PONO players.

Question: To get the hi-res files to play, should I change the audio conversion encoder from MP3 high bandwidth to PCM 24 bit? And change the  Audio format of the Generic DLNA to PCM L24 no header? By changing those 2 settings I am hoping my music will go over in hi-res (and hoping that the Denon can support this).

Question: Can I play a set of music files that contains files of various sample rate?  Or do I have to select files of only one or the other sample rate? Maybe there is 1 config that can support either type or do I need to adjust these above settings based on the specifics of the files selected to play? (Prefer to "set and forget".)

Thanks a bunch for all your help. 

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 12:27:59 am »

It may be the Denon does not support 192/24 in FLAC/DLNA configuration.

I had the same scenario in a Sony amp i purchased in around 2011, 44/16 would play fine but 192/24 would not play at all or give a severely distorted response.

The Cambridge amp I have now will play FLAC files in both formats over DLNA and I do not need to change the L16 no header setting, so I'm not sure this will help you but happy to be corrected. I do have  the Audio Mode set to "Original" so I doubt that setting is doing much anyway.

Cheers

Scobie

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 01:16:14 am »

Question: To get the hi-res files to play, should I change the audio conversion encoder from MP3 high bandwidth to PCM 24 bit? And change the  Audio format of the Generic DLNA to PCM L24 no header? By changing those 2 settings I am hoping my music will go over in hi-res (and hoping that the Denon can support this).

Question: Can I play a set of music files that contains files of various sample rate?  Or do I have to select files of only one or the other sample rate? Maybe there is 1 config that can support either type or do I need to adjust these above settings based on the specifics of the files selected to play? (Prefer to "set and forget".)

Thanks a bunch for all your help.

It’s not clear from the report if your renderer supports L24 or only L16, but just try it and see.

The report seems to indicate that it might not be able to play higher bit rates, so you may need to downsample those. In the MC DLNA server audio settings I would suggest you select L16 no header, and then underneath select DSP Studio Output Format Sample Rate and select to down convert 192khz to say 48khz (you probably need to experiment a bit about the maximum bitrate that your renderer supports).

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up