INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Genre filter on Smartlists does nort appear to work  (Read 1243 times)

goedric

Genre filter on Smartlists does nort appear to work
« on: January 15, 2018, 08:50:08 am »

It might be me, but I have the newest download (2 days ago: 23.23.0.91) and I cannot seem to get the Genre filter to work in Smartlists... it's crazy.  I select for example Genre "does not contain any" and then i enter a few seperated by commas... e.g. "Christmas" and "Classical" and then when i use the smartlist "Christmas" and "Classical" songs play... when I check the genre tag of the songs... they clearly have the fields that are supposed to be excluded spelled correctly with the same capitalization.

I have tried adding additional filters.. one for each genre.. and still does not work.

I has also tried a selectign when genre is any... whcih causes a drop down menu of genres with check boxes... i then select s few which fills out the genre fields and then i go back and change "when genre is any" to "does not contain any" this retains the genre list generated by the system.. and this also does not work...

Any advice appreciated....

In case it matters.. i am starting with a Media type = audio then bitrate > filer then the genre ones

goedric

Re: Genre filter on Smartlists does nort appear to work
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 09:43:51 am »

Okay.. i found the issue... i am using Standard View which has the current song at the top and when using the smartlist... the list of filtetred tracks below. There are play/skip buttons at the top of the screen to the left of the song bar.. as well as below just above the actual filtered smartlist... if you filter the songs in the smartlist... and then click on next song using the controls on the current song bar (top of screen)... the smartfilters are not yet engaged it seems. You must first click on the play button just above on the generated smart list then it all syncs up.. so i guess the smartlist is not activated in the rest of MC until its play button is clicked.  Anyway, works that way for me... this is on the newest 23.0.94 version... i updated versions prior to this observation

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 10:13:05 am »

It might be me, but I have the newest download (2 days ago: 23.23.0.91)
Glad you figured it out....
the latest update is ...94
 :)
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 11:18:27 pm »

Well, it seems you got something working, but you were doing it wrong. The below might help in future.

First, the character used to delineate items in a list field is the semi-colon (;), not the coma.

Second, there is no "does not contain any" operator available in a SmartList. There is a "does not contain" and an "is not any".

The "does not contain" operator is a pattern matching algorithm, and does not take a list of values. You can type a list, or do as you did to access the drop-down list and then change back to the "does not contain" operator, but if, for example, you selected the Genres "Christmas" and "Classical", which would have been entered as "Christmas; Classical" using the method you described, then MC would look for any files with a Genre of "Christmas; Classical", and as it found none, would show all files.

What you need to use, if selecting from predefined Genres, was the "is not any" operator. Since you selected "Christmas" and "Classical" Genres, if a file was assigned either Genre, it would be excluded from the SmartList.

If you wanted to exclude any file that was some version of "Rock", i.e. "Alternative Rock", "Punk Rock", "Funk Rock", "Rock / Pop" (which should really be entered as two Genres, but some people combine them like that), then you would use a rule that said "Genre 'does not contain' Rock". Or in MC Expression Language format, visible through the SmartList edit dialogue box "Import/Export" button; [Media Type]=[Audio] -[Genre]="Rock".

Note that if you wanted to exclude all files with a Genre of "Rock", the rule to use would be [Media Type]=[Audio] -[Genre]=[Rock]. Note the difference to above.

Third, changes in a SmartList are in effect as soon as the "Apply" or relevant "OK" button is pressed. There is no need at all to click on any next song, play, or any other buttons. As soon as you edit the SmartList and save the changes, it is in effect.

Enjoy learning how to use MC, and the music!  8)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up