INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio gets quieter in videos  (Read 1087 times)

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Audio gets quieter in videos
« on: January 15, 2018, 01:36:50 pm »

It's weird...for the last few months (could be years), I just thought it was my imagination, but I have done some tests lately. 

What is happening is that I will be watching video (could be recorded TV, or DVD rips, etc), and the volume will be fine.  Then I find myself turning up the volume.  So recently, when I notice that it is quiet, I press stop, and immediately start watching again from the 'stop' time, and the dialog is magically louder!

What could be causing this?  I recently reinstalled Windows on this particular client, so there is not much customization done on the OS.  I may have some DSP on...will have to check that when I can.  I know that I have at least 1 EQ filter on to boost the 'dialog'.

RD James

Re: Audio gets quieter in videos
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 06:00:28 pm »

If you have Adaptive Volume enabled, it's possible that something loud is causing it to lower the volume, and it may take several seconds to gradually build up again.
The way it works is that it's quick to drop the volume, but slow to build it back up. It seems like it may be designed more for music than preserving dialog.

If you're using the "small speaker mode" you may want to try "night mode" with your speakers turned up louder instead, since that will be less aggressive, or you may want to disable it entirely.
I also find that it does a better job when the videos being played have been run through the audio analyzer. Once they've been analyzed, you may prefer "peak level normalize" combined with volume leveling since that boosts the audio as loud as it can go without clipping by making a fixed adjustment, without compressing the dynamic range at all.

maid

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 12:33:23 am »

Am I correct in saying if we bitstream we do not need to Analise audio?
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

RD James

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 01:55:32 am »

Am I correct in saying if we bitstream we do not need to Analise audio?
No need if you're bitstreaming.
Pages: [1]   Go Up