INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using JRiver’s DSP with an external sound card and an HDMI connection.  (Read 1585 times)

danluba

The fan on the computer I was using as an HTPC got really noisy, and it was unnecessarily bulky for the livingroom anyway, so I bought a new little Minix Z83-4 Pro. It’s nice, but it only has 2 channel audio.

I have it hooked up to the TV with HDMI, and from there the sound goes out to my soundbar via s/pdif, which has a sub and two rear satellites attached, giving me 5.1 surround.

All good so far. HDMI should deliver 5.1 sound from movie files, no issues (I have not tested it, yet). My problem comes in because I like to convert stereo music files to 5.1 with JRiver’s DSP, which requires a multi-channel sound card. If I get a USB sound card, will JRiver farm the signal processing out to that, do what it needs to do, then bring it back in and shove it out through my HDMI cable to my speakers? Obviously, I wouldn’t be using the outs on the sound card itself.

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"

I think HDMI don't use your sound card I think HDMI audio is controlled by the graphics (video) driver. If your TV is good it may already have 5.1 built in so all you need to do is send the out to TV and TV spdif to soundbar and set the TV output to 5.1 or the relevent surround sound out of the TV so maybe before you purchase just try setting MC output to 2 channels and see. now IMHO this is not the best work for music listening.

Update: I think I missed the thought that your sound bar would also be in the mix as far as splitting the signal into 5.1 something to consider ...my sound bar has right left center and a standalone sub...but I don't use it like that...I use it for my center channel for my 7.1 yamaha...with some meddling with the wiring connection...this way I can controll the volume of it with it's stand alone remote and I must say I'm very impressed with the results as far as music and tv/movie listening.

“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

danluba

My problem is not with playing 5.1 files through the HDMI connection - 5.1 files should be fine. The issue is with converting stereo files to 5.1 output with JRiver’s DSP. I’m not sure what the signal path through the hardware is, but anyway it seems that a 5.1 sound card is necessary for the conversion. I would like to know if my solution will work before I spend the money.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"

you may get a faster response if you repost this in the proper forum here on Interact...yes you are new so please don't take this the wrong way ;)

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/board,9.0.html

here is a link to the main board...you will find what you need from the link above and here under devices...good luck and welcome to Interact

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

danluba

Oh, OK. I wasn’t sure whether this was the right place to post it or not. Thanks.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

I have it hooked up to the TV with HDMI, and from there the sound goes out to my soundbar via s/pdif, which has a sub and two rear satellites attached, giving me 5.1 surround.

All good so far. HDMI should deliver 5.1 sound from movie files, no issues (I have not tested it, yet).

With a few proprietary exceptions, S/PDIF only supports 2 Channel PCM. So the above configuration isn't going to work. You will be getting 5.1 into the TV and Stereo out via the S/PDIF. Unless your TV can encode the audio output to Dolby Digital, which would support 5.1 Channels but also lose some audio quality due to the compression used in Dolby Digital. I don't think TVs support encoding to Dolby Digital for the S/PDIF output. Also, your Soundbar would have to be capable of decoding Dolby Digitial. If it has a sub and two rear satellites it may have that capability.

What is the make and model of your TV?
Does your TV support ARC (Audio Return Channel) via HDMI?

What is the make and model of your soundbar?
What inputs are available? (HDMI, RCA, S/PDIF, etc.)

PS: An administrator may be kind enough to move this thread, rather than have you start another one. But if you don't get enough answers here, by all means post in the other forum.

PPS: I may be wrong here. I just checked the spec for my Sony KD-65X9300D and it says of the S/PIF output connection:
DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL)
Digital optical jack (Two channel linear PCM,
Dolby Digital, DTS)

So the above will work if your TV supports the same functionality and you encode to Dolby Digital, and your Soundbar can decode Dolby Digital.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up