INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using Raspberry Pi 3 as audio front-end  (Read 6025 times)

Grayson54

• Recent member
Using Raspberry Pi 3 as audio front-end
« on: January 21, 2018, 05:00:34 pm »

I am using JRiver 23 as my DLNA server.  Is it possible to use Raspberry pi 3 as my network-connected front end for my audio receiver in another room? Acting as the DLNA renderer. The plan would be to control it through JRemote? Can you recommend a link of how this can be done?   Thanks, G
SYSTEM:  JRiver 23 Media Center for PC  ///  PC: PowerSpec B724 running Win 10  ///  PreAmp/DAC: Classe CP-800  ///  Amp: Carver M200  ///  Spkrs: Totem Fires/JL F110 subs.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Using Raspberry Pi 3 as audio front-end
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 05:08:05 pm »

The Linux board has a Raspberry Pi thread.

or

The IdPi is everything you need on a bootable microSD card.  Or you can buy it pre-built.  Please start here:

www.jriver.com/Id

Either way, JRemote or any other MC remote will work.

Grayson54

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 05:43:35 pm »

Thanks.  Read a number of the entries.  Very helpful.  Do you know whether I have to buy an additional JRiver license for Pi?
SYSTEM:  JRiver 23 Media Center for PC  ///  PC: PowerSpec B724 running Win 10  ///  PreAmp/DAC: Classe CP-800  ///  Amp: Carver M200  ///  Spkrs: Totem Fires/JL F110 subs.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 06:04:46 pm »

If you're building your own, you can use a Master License if you have one.

If you buy the IdPi, the license for MC is included.

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 07:02:10 pm »

Using the IdPi is the best option by far if you don't want to tinker too much. You can also follow the Pi install thread in this forum and try it for 30 days with no license, and get help along the way before you decide. The walk through is fairly easy if you have some computer experience. If you are familiar with using MC, setting it up for music play won't be an issue after everything is installed. Support here is outstanding.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,111505.0.html

Raspbian now has an all inclusive image so you don't have to go through the NOOBS process (although it is easy). Use the Stretch with desktop version.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

The Pi is a very cool little network music player. It has its limitations but highly recommended.

Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

Grayson54

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 09:12:35 pm »

Can you lead me to a discussion of what those limitations might be?  I am planning to pair the Pi with a HiFiBerry DAC+.  Would that solve some of those limitations?

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 09:45:28 pm »

IdPi works with my Hifiberry DAC.

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 01:03:20 pm »

Can you lead me to a discussion of what those limitations might be?  I am planning to pair the Pi with a HiFiBerry DAC+.  Would that solve some of those limitations?

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114086.msg788620.html#msg788620
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

ugee

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 01:34:59 pm »

I am using JRiver 23 as my DLNA server.  Is it possible to use Raspberry pi 3 as my network-connected front end for my audio receiver in another room? Acting as the DLNA renderer. The plan would be to control it through JRemote? Can you recommend a link of how this can be done?   Thanks, G
You say "audio receiver" so I assume it's not video. Then maybe a Raspi with Volumio as a renderer will do. I use it with an Allo DigiOne connected to my DAC and can control it with Gizmo on an Android tablet (or directly from MC of course). JRemote would probably work as well but I didn't feel the need to licence it yet. ;) I don't think it's necessary to install MC on a Raspi for what you want to achieve since MC would still run on your PC serving the music, right?

If you want video as well, Kodi could act as a renderer (haven't tested that on a Raspi, only on a different Android based device).

Grayson54

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 08:57:08 pm »

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?action=post;quote=788746;topic=114111.0;last_msg=788839

I have an existing JRiver 23 on my Windows 10 machine (where my music files are located).  If I upgrade to Master, do I need 2 licenses, one for the Windows installation and one for the Raspbery front-end?  Or will the one Master work for all the front-ends I connect to the Windows back-end?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 09:04:30 pm »

One Master License will work with several Windows and Linux machines.

Grayson54

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 09:49:55 pm »

Done all this.  Have MC23 installed on my Pi3. Cannot see the music files.

How do I direct the Pi3 system to see my music files where they are located on a Windows 10 machine (I have a dedicated music server)?

Ideally, I would like to use the music library already established on my main Win10 music server. And have the MC23/Pi3 act only as a “front-end”.  I would like to access the MC23/Pi3 from that room using JRemote on my iPad or iPhone.  Is that possible?

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 12:26:01 am »

This is a general linux question, not directly related to MC.

You can't just "browse" to the network share with the pi out-of-the-box. Your network share will need to be "mounted" at boot by the pi. Folks get it done in different ways. Do a search on the pi forums for "mount network share" or start a new thread here for help. I've certainly had my share of trials and tribulations with the basic linux learning curve. Once you find a method that works for you it can be duplicated across similar Debian based distros. Here are related threads:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,110924.msg766628.html#msg766628
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,110697.msg765642.html#msg765642

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 06:06:50 am »

The text menu of the Id has a section for external drives.  NAS drives included.

The Id instructions link to External or NAS instructions.

astropuppy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 07:54:44 am »

Done all this.  Have MC23 installed on my Pi3. Cannot see the music files.

How do I direct the Pi3 system to see my music files where they are located on a Windows 10 machine (I have a dedicated music server)?

Ideally, I would like to use the music library already established on my main Win10 music server. And have the MC23/Pi3 act only as a “front-end”.  I would like to access the MC23/Pi3 from that room using JRemote on my iPad or iPhone.  Is that possible?

If your windows machine has JRiver installed you can create a (new) library on the PI instance of JRiver that points to the Windows JRiver instance. I find using (JRiver) native client/server configuration a lot easier than setting up shares etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up