INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Add one random song to playing now... continuously  (Read 2949 times)

Deivit

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I find your interest interesting...
Add one random song to playing now... continuously
« on: June 16, 2003, 12:36:53 am »

Several years ago my jukebox software was DJ2000, which no longer exists.

In DJ2000 you could activate this nice feature :

Let's imagine that you put some songs to playing now...  when the last one finishes to play, provided that you do not add a new song(s) by yourself, the software picked one random song and played it. Once this song finished, again it took randomly a new one from the library to play it just waiting for you to add new songs. You could then feed "playing now" with 5 or 6 more songs and when the last one played, the program just picked a new random one in order to give you a continuous play... In a few words, either you or the program will take care that the music never stops playing. You could even customize the random track belonging to a specific genre or playlist.

Is there any way in MC to replicate that? If not, do you think that this could be a feature to consider?

Thank you.

NoCodeUK

Re: Add one random song to playing now... continuo
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2003, 12:39:17 am »

Sounds like a very nice feature.  Would be great for wehn I am doing discos if I haven't cued up enough tracks...so long as it didn't add a track that was already in the Playing Now queue so I ended up duplicating :)

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2003, 06:00:58 am »

How about:

1. Make sure Shuffle is on.

2. Select your entire Media Library (or whichever genre or whatever you wanted) and Play it.

3. From then on, whenever you want to choose a song to play, select it and choose Add to Playing Now (play next). You could even make this your default double click action so you could just double click a file to add it.

Would that work?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2003, 06:03:15 am »

Well, I just tried it. With the exception that the most recent file always jumps ahead of the ones you chose before it (due to the Play Next part), it seems to mimic it pretty well. Not perfect, but it's a start...

Deivit

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2003, 06:35:30 am »

Yes, it seems pretty good. Thank you  :)

NoCodeUK

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2003, 06:42:39 am »

The reason I liked the original proposal was that it would mean I wouldn't necessarily need to be there for it to happen which sometimes with a disco as the case...(I don't like sitting in the corner all night!)  If it was an automatic thing then I could leave it and it could know that if playing now got to the end and there was nothing else queued up it could randomly play something from a particular playlist.  Kinda like a jukebox when there is nothing queued and it starts autoplaying...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Deivit

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2003, 07:18:17 am »

In fact, apart of not needing you to be there to queue more songs, to me a great thing of the original feature in DJ2000 was that you NEVER knew what song would play next... and this added a surprise component very exciting. Of course, you can hide the playing now view and get a similar effect...

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2003, 09:03:44 am »

you can get DJ2000 here

http://www.dj2000.215software.com/

so it's sort of not dead, bt i don't think they ever updated it.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Deivit

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2003, 09:27:17 am »

You're right, King... I'm pretty sure that the latest update was the one I played with at least 3 or 4 years ago... and that's a lifetime when talking about software development.

Thanks for bringing in the webpage, though  :)

----

Listening to: 'Crow's Nest' from 'Stan with Cal' by 'Stan Getz And Cal Tjader' on Media Center 9.0

jleerigby

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2003, 04:19:54 am »

I moved over to MC from MMJB about a month ago and I'm overwelmed by how much better MC is.  However, the 'randomly add songs to playlist' or 'playing now' as MC calls it is one feature that MMJB supports that I really miss.  In fact I looked everywhere for it in MC believing that it must be there somewhere!

It's the 'I don't know what's going to play next' thing that I like about it.  I'd want it to just play tracks that meet certain criteria e.g. Tracks rated *** or better but I guess that the existing playback filter would take care of that.  e.g. You could set up a smartlist that includes all tracks rated ** or worse AND all tracks that were last played in the last n minutes.  Then set the playback filter to exclude tracks in this smartlist, hit 'random continuous thingy' and you're sorted :D.  

PLEASE MC introduce this - it would be much welcome.

Lee.

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2003, 04:51:54 am »

not as good as /the real thing/ but it's a start....

- create a smartlist
- make the search string:
[media type]=[audio] ~n=1 ~sort=random
- add quickplay to your toolbar
- select the smartlist from quickplay (hold down shift)

so if we had customizable toolbar buttons that would play/add to playing now/.... a specific smart/playlist it would do what you want.... (Matt !?!)

still no autofeeding.... that would need an event based system.... (again, Matt..... ;-)  )

Ingo

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2003, 06:09:01 am »

I too, have requested this exact same "Jukebox-Style" random additions to Playing Now when it runs out ...

Maybe they will add it in the future ... ? Anyone ?

Cindy_B

• Recent member
  • I love my Media Center!
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2003, 08:24:09 am »

I too, have requested this exact same "Jukebox-Style" random additions to Playing Now when it runs out ...

Maybe they will add it in the future ... ? Anyone ?

I have requested and have seen several other request for better random filters for some time now.

MC needs some extra filters for smartlist to randomize songs without selecting too many tracks from the same artist/Album/etc.      

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
The engine is already there?
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2003, 09:35:30 am »

Seems like the interpreter for the searching/filtering/smartlist components could "easily" be enhanced to support a more procedure/event-oriented syntax to do just these types of things.  Am I off here in my assumption?

I can imagine some procedural component that would fire off on an event and operate on a target.

Perhaps this is really in the realm of a plug-in?
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2003, 09:40:30 am »

Sounds like you guys want a full-blown MC scripting language...
Pages: [1]   Go Up