INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Higher quality cover art  (Read 1093 times)

Jmmcnew

Higher quality cover art
« on: January 26, 2018, 07:23:16 pm »

I'm a new convert to JRiver from Itunes.  I have noticed however that most of the music I imported from my iTunes folders has cover art that is 200 x 200 pixels.  Which looks terrible in Display or theater view.  Is there a setting I need to change to get higher quality cover art?  Thank you.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Higher quality cover art
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 08:19:31 pm »

MC makes extensive use of thumbnails built from Cover Art, which are used in the Views and popup info windows, etc. I haven't used iTunes in so long I can't remember if it only stored thumbnails, or stored full sized Cover Art as well as thumbnails. The 200x200 sized art is probably the thumbnail art from iTunes, stored inside the media (Audio) files. ther emay have been large Cover Art files stored somewhere by iTunes.

Anyway, future media files that you import into MC will probably get large Cover Art files associated with them, if they haven't been used in iTunes beforehand. For example, ripped CDs typically get 500x500 to 600x600 pixel Cover Art assigned, but you can actually separately source and add any sized Cover Art files to your media files that you wish, and either store them inside the files or externally.

I store Cover Art inside the media file when I can, which is possible for all my audio files. See settings at "Options > File Location > Cover Art"

Also read the Wiki: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Cover_Art

If you want to update your media files with better Cover Art, you can select the media files you want to update, or the Album thumbnail in the Audio > Album view, then right-click on a selected item, chose "Cover Art > Get from internet". Do a few to see how it works. You can do a whole lot at once if you wish though, but be prepared to get some strange results if you just trust MC to find the correct art every time.

Note also that I don't think a change of Cover Art can be undone, in that the image stored in the media file is replaced, or if the image is stored separately it will be overwritten. So you may wish to back up your media files and any external Cover Art files before doing mass updates.

Enjoy!
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Higher quality cover art
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 10:06:18 pm »

“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”
Pages: [1]   Go Up