INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: O/T  'Copy Controlled' Disks ??  (Read 2090 times)

LisaRCT

O/T  'Copy Controlled' Disks ??
« on: June 18, 2003, 05:46:50 am »

OK. what is the solution to 'Copy Controlled' disks?
I paid for a CD and want to play it on my PC (as I do ALL my music), BUT I cannot rip a copy controlled disk.    ?

I had ripped it the regular way, but that only yielded 4 tracks out of 10.  I tried every peice of software in my collection, but nothing was sucessful (can't even clone it to another disk).

Apparently these are able to be played on an audio CD player or DVD player, but not on a PC, except by using the player that is included on the CD.

I had to sit here and manually rip each track with Total Recorder.  Time consuming, but I had to do it as a matter of principle.

Kinda aggravating, considering I could have gotten the CD for FREE using file-sharing, but chose to pay cold hard cash.  Next time I see a "Copy Controlled" label on a disk, I will think twice.

Anyone find a way to rip these without all the lost time and attention??

JC

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: O/T  'Copy Controlled' Disks ??
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2003, 06:52:58 am »

Not sure if this still works, but using a marker to "outline" the very outside edge of the disc (data side) will cover the copy controlled part of the disc. I never used this method, but I've heard it works rather well.

I strongly suggest you perform a search on the exact width this 'outline' needs to be to allow the CD to be ripped.

Hope this works for you :)

BTW - there was talk of not allowing these types of CDs to carry the Compact Disc label as they don't follow the original specification set forth by Phillips. Not sure how far that got, though.

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2003, 07:11:23 am »

For those problem disks, try another ripper such as EAC, CDeX, etc. Some rippers can get around copy protection. YMWV though.

10-27

LisaRCT

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2003, 07:21:46 am »

For those problem disks, try another ripper such as EAC, CDeX, etc. Some rippers can get around copy protection. YMWV though.

10-27

Tried it, tried that one, yup . . tried that one too   >:(

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2003, 10:39:09 am »

I think you found the only guaranteed way. I used to record all my vinyl LPs to tape so I could preserve them. How very 20th century...

LisaRCT

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2003, 11:03:25 am »

Tape??

I use that to wrap presents for birthdays and such.

I used the Total Recorder to copy to individual wav files  :)
Just took some baby-sitting.

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2003, 03:38:45 pm »

Does anyone know how much quality will be lost, when copied with Total Recorder, as opposed to ripping?

LisaRCT

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2003, 03:51:52 pm »

As far as I understand, Total Recorder 'intercepts' the digital info on it's way to your soundcard by 'posing' as a soundcard driver . . . .
doing so it can sample the data in pure form as it passes it on to your soundcards true inputs/drivers.
This yields a true, pure digital data stream to be recorded, and which is invisible to other devices and software (allowing you to record streaming media as well as 'copy controlled' audio formats).  
When used to record a PCM wav (no encoding) there should be no audio loss as you get a true digital copy.

This may also be how MC9's 'Sound Recorder' works and how Creative's 'What You HEar' recording works as well.??  (not sure)

xen-uno

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2003, 04:57:32 am »

>  This may also be how MC9's 'Sound Recorder' works...

Probably not. Soundcards have DAC's and the opposite...ADC (Analog to Digital Converter). Or maybe just a special DAC that can do it either way depending on the direction the source is fed into it.

10-27

LisaRCT

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2003, 05:17:19 am »

Total Recorder 'bleeds-off' a digital signal before any ADC convertion takes place, dunno what MC does.

xen-uno

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2003, 05:53:04 am »

With MC's Record Sound function (is this what you mean by Sound Recorder?), it will take the analog signal from the line-in port and run it through the ADC (there is no other way). FYI: General purpose CPU's cannot emmulate an ADC...or a DAC.

10-27

LisaRCT

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2003, 06:18:36 am »

Perhaps I am assuming too much, or simply misunderstand ?

"Instead of relying on the sound card, Total Recorder captures the sound stream directly from Windows, before the audio goes to the sound card. This unique approach eliminates multiple conversions that occur with other types of solutions. " ~ http://www.highcriteria.com/

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2003, 06:24:36 am »

If you can read/ripp "copy controlled" disks much depends on the combination of the used copy control system and your CD drive (and it's firmware).
There are (as far as I know...) these copy controls "obtainable":
- Key2Audio A
- Key2Audio B
- CDC100 (Cactus Data Shield)
- CDC200 (Cactus Data Shield)
- DOC
Depending on your CD drive, you maybe able to read CDs with on of those copy controls without problems but you will not be able to read the other ones. There are (as far as I know...) only two drives out on the market that can read all "copy controlled" disks:
- CD Writer Yamaha RW-F1 (Firmware 1.0c)
- DVD Writer Archos (LG) Dex DVD-RW 2 (GMA-4020B) (Firmware A105)
Be glad if you have one of those and don't update the firmware...

If you use CloneCD or EAC to ripp CD's, let these programms open and close the drawer of your CD drive to load the CD ... they will then use their own drivers to access the CD and it should work.
EDIT: Of course, CloneCD or EAC can only get what is supplied by your CD drive ...

P.S.: Do that only with CDs you own  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up