INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: External HD for Mac and PC  (Read 1139 times)

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
External HD for Mac and PC
« on: February 03, 2018, 02:49:06 pm »

I'd like to save all my media files to an external HD, which is easy to do using my PC. But I'm an absolute newbie at a mac. So I'm wondering (and have no idea where to start searching): is it possible to use the external HD for PC and Mac?

I'm a big microsoft fan but the dancing school I'm currently working at only uses Mac. Setting up MC and importing my windows library there was a surprising easy task. I exported a part of my audio files and it was easy to update the database to point to that given location.

But what I would like to do in future is: have an external HD where all my media files are stored at. The external HD also will be used for automatic MC library backups, so it always contains (more or less) current library backup and all media files. At dancing school I'd like to plug in the HD, import the database (especially because of smart- and playlists) and get started without having to update the file locations every time.

Any Ideas (please remember: I'm a newbie to mac and was happy to figure out that "finder" is some kind of "explorer"...)? Or an impossible challenge?

Zsolt Andrasy

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: External HD for Mac and PC
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 11:56:18 am »

I use a WD “My Book” 5TB HDD which was formatted originally for Windows. I reformatted it to ExFAT by a Windows PC  and it works perfect since years. By this ExFAT format I lost a few hundred MB, but I am OK with this.
It is compatible now with Windows and Mac, too.
But unfortunatelly it will be full, soon.
:-(

Regards,

Zsolt
MacBook Pro 2016 13", Soekris dam 1021 DAC, Almarro A318B, PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium, Qattro mkII loudspeakers by Troels Gravesen

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 06:42:46 am »

Will windows and mac share the same file paths? I guess if I switch the HD and restore the library to the other platform I still would have to update the file location because windows stores other paths than macOS does, right?

Zsolt Andrasy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 10:35:22 am »

Theoretically yes, but I have JRiver only on my Mac, so I cannot answer more detail to you. One thing is sure: I play the file from HD with my MacBook Pro, but I copy the files to the HD from my Windows PC at my workplace. Because at my workplace we have very fast net, till at home very slow…
MacBook Pro 2016 13", Soekris dam 1021 DAC, Almarro A318B, PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium, Qattro mkII loudspeakers by Troels Gravesen
Pages: [1]   Go Up