INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I2S output?  (Read 1564 times)

Bohemian

• World Citizen
I2S output?
« on: February 06, 2018, 07:30:49 am »

Hi, is it possible to output I2S either from the ID, or the ID pi with hifiberry digi+Pro added?
There appears to be an I2S socket on the hifiberry digi+ Pro and my dac will take I2S.
Thanks for advice.
Chris

LawshrinkMD

• Recent member
Re: I2S output?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 11:52:05 pm »

I had looked into this for a while, as I have a DAC which can accept I2S over a proprietary HDMI connector.  It's not worth the trouble, and some people said the sound quality was worse.  What were you trying to connect to?

Bohemian

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 06:24:07 am »

Thanks for your answer.
I'm planning to use the pi to replace a laptop, primarily for a smaller footprint in my rack and not having the laptop display on.
I have a Wyred4Sound dac2v2 which has excellent inputs (I currently use the usb which takes hi-res including dsd) and I saw it had I2S - so a little googling is a dangerous thing but it seems like I may be able to utilize this input.
If not, I would still use the usb and be perfectly happy.

LawshrinkMD

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 07:47:23 am »

If you look around, there are several discussions of this, using some parts from audio_gd if I recall correctly.  I think one person got it working, but I think they had lots of problems making everything work correctly.  I had better success using the digi+pro over coax, as I thought the USB sounded really tinny and "off."   I was going to build a silent home theater PC, but instead opted for the PS Audio LanRover, which is expensive, but requires no work (as compared to building and maintaining yet another PC) and sounds amazing.  It also allows me to use the household wired network, so the noisy computer is far away from the stereo setup.  Still way cheaper and more powerful than any of the proprietary component pieces, and can use JRiver to access SACD iso files, which is very important.

Good luck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up