INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about 'Update Library from Tags'  (Read 689 times)

bds42

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Question about 'Update Library from Tags'
« on: June 18, 2003, 09:11:57 pm »

Hi All-

I'm relatively new to MC but am really loving it so far.  

I apologize if this is a FAQ or in some docs somewhere but I've searched and not been able to find the answer.  What is the difference between Update Library from Tags (always) vs (if changes detected)?

Also, is it possible that any time a tag gets changed outside of the program (I use Tag and Rename a lot to fixup tags since YADB doesn't seem to be as complete as Allmusic)  that the library is updated?  Or do I always have to drill down into the library, find the stuff I just changed in T&R and then say 'update'?

Thanks,
bds42

Omni

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Question about 'Update Library from Tags'
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2003, 09:34:19 pm »

Quoted from the help file (always the last place we look, isn't it? ;)):

• (from tags-always): This setting will always update the library from the tags
  • (from tags-if changes detected): This setting will only update / read the tags if the file's last modified time is later than the last time we analyzed the tag. If you change some files with an external program, you can quickly update Media Center with "if changes detected".  However, if you want to force MC to reread everything, you can use "always".

Also, this may be interesting as I think it relates to your second question.  It's about one of the global settings:

• Update Tags from Library. By default, Media Center updates tags when the file information changes in the database (you can change this setting in Tools | Options | General). But you may want to force an update, if, for example, your files’ tags got corrupted by another program.
  • Update Library (from tags always). This setting will always update the library from the tags.
  • Update Library (from tags if change detected). This setting will only update / read the tags if the file's last modified time is later than the last time we analyzed the tag. If you change some files with an external program, you can quickly update Media Center with "if changes detected".  However, if you want to force MC to reread everything, you can use "always".
Pages: [1]   Go Up