INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: System-wide WASAPI output with dynamic channels  (Read 1930 times)

Turnspit

System-wide WASAPI output with dynamic channels
« on: February 08, 2018, 06:28:25 am »

Cheers everyone!

In search of a tool to easily bypass the windows mixer and get a WASAPI output for all sound sources, I nearly gave up before discovering JRiver. I read through the wiki, but to be honest I'm still not completely sure if JRiver is exactly the thing I was looking for.

Here's my situation:

I'm running a Windows 10 HTPC, which I use for:
Gaming (Steam mostly)
Movies/Series/Concert (Kodi)
TV (German Windows 10 App "Zattoo")

The PC is hooked up via HDMI (GTX 1070) to a Yamaha RX-V381 (soon to be upgraded to a 581 for Presence Speakers) with a 5.1 speaker setup.

On to my problem:
I want to use the Yamaha DSP programs to convert 2.0 sound up to 5.1 and later 7.1 with Front Presence. This works perfectly with Kodi, which uses WASAPI to bypass the Windows mixer. 5.1 are played as is, while stereo sources get upmixed. This doesn't work with sound outside of Kodi though. Windows sound settings are set up as 5.1, which works perfectly fine for all the games packing surround sound. Games with stereo sound, videos in the webbrowser and audio from the TV app, which are all stereo, are still sent as a 5.1 stream to the AVR, which then can't correctly apply its DSP.

What I'm looking for was a method to have each audio source (stereo as well as surround, games as well as browser video, ...) have its unaltered channel configuration etc. be sent to the AVR, to always have the DSP programs correctly applied to it. And from how I understand it, JRiver could be the solution to this.

Is that right? Or am I understanding something about JRiver completely wrong?

Thanks in advance! :-)

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: System-wide WASAPI output with dynamic channels
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 12:15:37 pm »

There's no way I'm aware of to force applications to output using WASAPI Exclusive Mode.
Media Center can set the output format to match the source number of channels for any media that it is playing back, but cannot do that for sources passed through the WDM Driver. It's still reliant on whatever channel assignment is set in Windows.

Turnspit

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 12:18:30 am »

Cheers!

I just gave it a quick test yesterday, using the WDM Driver to route sound through JRiver. WDM driver is set up as 5.1, and playing a Youtube video gives a 2.0 signal to my AVR - just like I wanted it to be. Gonna have to do some more testing though...

So contrary to what you're saying James, this seems to work?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 06:57:12 am »

Is it really a stereo (2.0) signal, or is it a 2.0 signal inside a 5.1 container.

The Audio Path inside MC should show you.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up