INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RESOLVED - Issues after ripping CD  (Read 2385 times)

AlexS

• World Citizen
RESOLVED - Issues after ripping CD
« on: February 13, 2018, 12:50:28 pm »

I have a filenames like this:

"09 - Eagles - Desperado - Saturday Night.flac"

Originally ripped via this token:
[Track#] - [Artist] - [Album] - [Name]

I am using tokens [Track#] - [Artist] - [Album] - [Name] for "Fill Properties from filename" facility.

All the tokens get picked up except token [Track#].

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Possible bug with "Fill Properties from filename"
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 12:51:59 pm »

You need to add a space in the track number field.  Then it will work.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

AlexS

• World Citizen
Tagging Problems after Ripping
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 12:53:05 pm »

Hi

All my music media is stored on a single server.

So I ripped a number of albums using the latest version of JRiver. I tagged everything from the internet, got the cover image files (folder.jpg) from the internet... all done through JRiver.. all is good..

Then I revisit these albums on another PC, same version of JRiver, indexing appears up to date. It appears through the tags have disappeared now, and the cover art has disappeared (folder.jpg has gone), my question is why?

So I am ending up trying to recover this via other means.

I'm worried it will disappear again.

Thanks

AlexS

• World Citizen
Re: Possible bug with "Fill Properties from filename"
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 12:56:28 pm »

You need to add a space in the track number field.  Then it will work.

Duh! Now using [Track #]
Works now many thanks!

AlexS

• World Citizen
Re: Tagging Problems after Ripping
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 01:35:46 pm »

After losing tags (and having no recent library backup) I am now attempting to restore them.

I've managed to recover somewhat using "Fill Properties from filename"

I'm trying to fill in more tags after this I'm using "Look up track info from online database", however I'm not finding it very reliable, tends to go to compilation albums rather than original albums, it does not give me a choice of what to use (unlike when I rip a CD).

Any tips please?

Thanks...

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 06:30:39 pm »

So, you did all the ripping and setup directly on a MC Server.

Then you went to a MC Client that is connected to the MC Server via Media Network (i.e. Using an Access Key)?

If the above is the case, folder.jpg files aren't synchronised (copied) to the Client. The Client gets its Cover Art from the Server, and builds thumbnails on the Client. Check if that is still ongoing or has already completed. If it isn't happening and isn't complete, run "Build Missing Thumbnails" on the Client. Building thumbnails can take some time.

When the MC Client needs a full-sized Cover Art images the MC Server serves it to the Client. You aren't saying that the folder.jpg files are being deleted from the Server, are you? Because that would be weird.

But you are also saying tags have disappeared?! Are you sure that your second PC is connected to the first PC as a MC Client? If so, reload the Library on the MC Client. Did the tags show up again?

Or are you running a completely separate library on your second PC, and that is why you are updating tags from filename on that second PC? If that is the case, "There Lies Dragons". While it can be done, you will need to understand how MC works a bit better. For example, if you had stored Cover Art inside files, the Cover Art would have shown up in your second PC library. The Cover Art should show up if it is a folder.jpg file sitting next to the audio file and you import the audio file into a second library. But if the Cover Art is being stored separately in a specified folder, then the Cover Art isn't going to make it across to the second PC, unless you change the settings in the second library to point to the specified location on the first PC.

Complex, what?

Tell us how you have actually set up MC on the two PCs, and how you want to run each. i.e. In a Client/Server setup, run independently and standalone but pointing to the one set of media files, are both PCs desktops or is one a laptop that you want to take with you to work/travelling, etc.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 06:32:20 pm »

also use a 3rd party tag editor may help....
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

AlexS

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 06:46:57 pm »

I'm running client JRiver on two separate PC's, not the server version. The files are simply being access via UNC path on a common file server (Synology).

I've never had this issue before always worked well.

The folder.jpg files do get stored in the CD folders when it works (accessable via the server UNC path). I am saying those files are being deleted.. it's weird :)

Each PC has a separate library it's picking up tags from the files in an identical way however.

It's not picking up the tags on the second PC for some reason or the tags are getting wiped (TBC).

They do have identical settings as I have saved and restored library settings (in fact I did it recently for latest MC upgrade).
Thx.

AlexS

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 06:59:56 pm »

Thanks but Is there a better method to tag using MC? (See OP).

What third party software are people using now? I never could get third party tag editors to behave very well to be honest (did try it once).

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 07:57:12 pm »

Thanks but Is there a better method to tag using MC? (See OP).
I'm not the best one to answer this because when I found MC way back on Ver 18  I had other things in place that did my rips and tags, thru the years I have just stuck with what I know and concentrated on learning other features of MC

What third party software are people using now? I never could get third party tag editors to behave very well to be honest (did try it once).
I can't speak for others but I like MP3 tag editor it's customizable , free and works for me

“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 08:09:47 pm »

Antivirus?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 08:13:37 pm »

What format did you rip the CDs to?

You should go back to the first PC and check that the tags are actually stored in the files using the Tag Dump section of the tag Window. If the tags are in the files, the second PC should have picked them up. Even with the limited tagging in WAV files, if they were ripped with MC on the first PC they should be read successfully by MC on the second PC.

Oh wait, what specific version of MC are you using?

23.0.96 (1/24/2018)
9. Fixed: Cover art wasn't getting embedded into ripped files.

23.0.94 (1/12/2018)
10. Fixed: File tagging following CD ripping wasn't working.

I know you said the lastest, but that varies based on which update channel you are using.

The deleted folder.jpg files is weird. I embed Cover Art rather than use a side file, where I can, so I can only guess as to what was happening. But as there were bugs in this area, maybe they also caused this issue. Perhaps update to MC23.0.102 (the latest at the top of the board) and rip another CD, or re-rip one, to see if it works as expected.

If so, and the files on the first PC do have tags in the library, then you can just "Update Tags from Library" on the first PC and those tags should appear on the second PC when you run Auto Import again (if "Update for external changes" is set). You only need to use the "Fill Properties from filename" if the files on the first PC don't have tags, and in that case, run the "Fill Properties from filename" on the first PC and then Auto Import on the second.

If Cover Art still appears on the first PC then it could be recovered in a similar way. With the "Cover Art > Audio Mode" set to "in the same folder as the file (as Folder.jpg)", then you can select the problem audio files, right click and run "Save Cover Art To External Location Specified In Options" and "Folder.jpg" Cover Art files will be saved next to the audio files. Test a few first and check. It worked for me.

If the first PC no longer has Cover Art because of the bug above, you will need to run "Get from internet" again of course.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 08:24:09 pm »

I find MC is all I need for tagging.

See my post above.

If you can't get the tags back from the library, or from the file names, or from the online database, you may need to re-rip the CDs that are missing tags. As per the other thread, you may have ripped the CDs with a version of MC that had a bug or two, and lost the tags.

AlexS

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 06:21:50 am »

Yeah I think I'm a victim of that latest bug... thanks for letting me know,.

(Edited and removed other comments after thread merge)

AlexS

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 06:39:26 am »

Thanks, looks like I fell victim to the latest build (annoying as I'm on the stable update channel), we shall see how it goes. I actually moved the folders somewhere else and updated the tags again (best I could) so I shall never actually know (unless it isn't fixed). I shall just have to see how this plays. It's just given me a MC auto update as well on both computers (23.0.100).

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 07:06:29 am »

Antivirus?

It can cause some strange problems.  Example:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,113625.0.html

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 08:49:02 am »

I merged the three related threads.

AlexS

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 11:06:35 am »

I think the issue was:

23.0.94 (1/12/2018)
10. Fixed: File tagging following CD ripping wasn't working.

Argh - with respect I created three threads to keep things separate and clear, as a consequence of merging at least one of the threads is effectively dead and buried.

Nevermind. I edited out one of the posts here. Please consider this thread resolved and I will create another thread which should be treated as unrelated, apologies if there is some duplication. Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up