INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NAS file server not visible as a source of audio files  (Read 2471 times)

Sami

NAS file server not visible as a source of audio files
« on: February 13, 2018, 02:52:38 pm »

Hi, I have been trialling the MC 23 and have a very basic, but kind of fundamental problem.
I have a WD NAS file server in my local network, it is visible in Windows file manager / Network there. When I try to set this NAS as the location for audio files in the MC settings (File location / Audio, browse), it does not show this NAS there. It does show some other computers in my network though. I have Media Network & DLNA enabled in MC, no authentication. In my Western Digital NAS I have enabled DLNA media server but have disabled iTunes server. I can open and play the audio files from this NAS in any other player in the same computer.
How to fix this?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: NAS file server not visible as a source of audio files
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 03:09:47 pm »

Welcome to the forum.

Try Tools > Import and set up Auto-Import.  The wiki has a topic on Import:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Import

Spike1000

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 06:03:08 am »

There are some videos linked below that should help you get started and up to speed with MC.

Spike

Sami

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 08:11:48 am »

Hi again, and thanks for your replys. I have been trying to solve this issue but havent found any solution yet. But I have understood that the cause of it is in Windows 10, not in MC23. For some reason I cannot switch on the file and printer sharing in this installation of Windows 10 Pro I am using. Well, to be exact, I can switch the file sharing on in my private network, but it refuses to stay on. I have googled this and have found that I am not the only one who has this problem. The funny thing is, there does not seem to be any definitive solution yet to this problem. This is so very frustrating ! When checking what services my OS is running, I can see that both mrxsmb20 [WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 1077  (0x435)] and bowser (yes, bowser, not browser) [WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 1077  (0x435)] are not running in my system. I have learnt they are required for file sharing. This code 1077 is explained somewhere as "No attempts to start the service have been made since the last boot."
So, all in all, no file sharing possible and I dont know why. In my other win10 computer the file sharing work fine, the on setting stays on, and I can access my NAS. I would install MC23 there, but that computer is in a wrong room...

EDIT: if I skip the powershell and use the service configuration, and try to start the workstation service, I get the error #2 system cannot find the file specified. This is worrying and may mean I need to re-install my OS?

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 08:18:27 am »

Hi I recently went through this and found a solution that worked for me.

For me the issue is I had my Synology NAS set as "Master Browser".  But with recent Windows 10 updates the built in "Computer Browser" service on the desktops seemed to interfere with the "Network Neighbourhood".

So I had to "Disable" the "Computer Browser" service on each of the windows 10 computers on my network.  Once I did that I was able to see all of my computers and NAS in network neighbourhood again.

To disable the "Computer Browser" Service.  Go to "Services" (Usually just click on start and start typing "services" till it shows up at the top of the list).   Then go down to "Computer Browser" and set to disabled.  Mine was set to "Manual" and looked like it wasn't even running.  But setting it to disabled resolved the issue.

Hope this helps you.

Carl.

here is the full post....

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114421.msg791323.html#msg791323
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 06:14:13 pm »

This new Windows feature is going to become a real pain in the  @%$&^!

But in this case, the folder selection dialogue could be working better. Currently, it only seems to allow entering a file location by browsing to that location. It should let a user just enter the location directly, without browsing.

If it did, and for example, I couldn't see my NAS in Windows Explorer to browse to it, but I could get to it by entering \\NAS\Music\ into the address bar, then I should also be able to directly enter \\NAS\Music\ into the File Location dialogue. I can't. In fact, I can't directly enter any location, on a local disk, or network share. I just tried to change it to "F:\" which is a local drive, without browsing to it, and the change wasn't saved.

So the only ways to enter a new File Location is to:
a. Map a drive to the network location.
b. Create a HomeGroup in Windows so that browsing works again. (Theoretically, because I didn't like HomeGroup last time I tried it, and haven't tried again.)

Enabling direct entry of the File Location would allow the use of UNC locations, mapped drives, local directories, or browsing to a location. But of course, there would be a risk of the location being entered incorrectly by a user as well. Only allowing Browsing to change the setting does make sure that the location actually exists.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up