INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Removing individual files from JRiver playlist on MacBook Pro  (Read 3247 times)

john vookles

• Recent member
Removing individual files from JRiver playlist on MacBook Pro
« on: February 14, 2018, 09:21:37 am »

Using JRiver MC23 on a MacBook, I have several music files and many photo files that I would like to delete. I have found a number of suggestions on-line and in forums, but none work. This may not be possible, but if it is, I would really appreciate some step-by-step instructions.  Thanks    PS: I don't want the photos to be removed from "Photos" on my Mac

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Removing individual files from JRiver playlist on MacBook Pro
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 09:40:37 am »

When you delete from a playlist, it just deletes the entry in the playlist and not the file.

Again, create a few files to experiment with.

john vookles

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 03:11:42 pm »

Yes, but how do you do it ?  I've tried highlighting the item and hitting the delete key -- and command + delete -- and shift + delete.   Nothing happens ?

B17NNS

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 03:26:46 pm »

Edit menu. Delete.

john vookles

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 04:02:17 pm »

I really do apologize for being so stupid, but how does one find edit menu ?  Step by step, please.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 08:47:10 am »

I'm really new to Mac and I know how you feel: had exactly the same problem!

Right click with mouse (or track pad ;) ) on the file(s) you want to delete. You have to search, but as I did after two failures you'll find "Edit" as one entry in the context menu that appears. The sub menu will show "Delete" or something similar :)

So: Right Mouse Click -> Context Menu -> Edit Menu -> Delete

B17NNS

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 05:50:59 pm »

I really do apologize for being so stupid, but how does one find edit menu ?  Step by step, please.

Top left corner of your screen when in JRiver you should see an Apple logo, followed by Media Center 23, followed by Edit.

Click on Edit and Delete is the second option on the list after Rename.

ugee

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 05:51:40 pm »

@JRiver Team  :)

Maybe for an upcoming version that rather common Mac key function (Backspace for delete) could get mapped within MC to what I assume the <DEL> key does in the Windows version ... from time to time I stumble across this too. It's not a big thing ... just a bit annoying.

john vookles

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 04:39:17 pm »

Yes, I found "edit" and under that "remove -- "  , but the option is grayed out and won't respond. It took me all afternoon to figure out how to load a hi-res DVD music file.  I was finally able to get it into iTunes and it went, automatically and apparently unadulterated , to my JRiver playlist.

B17NNS

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 06:54:22 pm »

Was the file you wanted to remove highlighted?

i.e. had you clicked on the file you wanted to remove from the playlist?

john vookles

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 09:31:31 pm »

Yes

B17NNS

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 07:12:06 am »

Can't repeat your issue on my iMac.

If I go to playlists. Click on a song. Go to Edit, Remove from List...

MC removes it from the list.

john vookles

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 07:52:13 am »

That's exactly what I'm doing. I single click on the song - the bar across it becomes gray - but "remove from list" won't respond.  Help, somebody ---

john vookles

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 08:15:16 am »

Glory be -- I've made a discovery. If you click on "playlist", it won't delete.  But if you click on any of the subheadings under "playlist', such as "recently imported", it does work.  Who knew ?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 03:03:07 pm »

The grey bar is just a highlight to show you where your mouse is pointing, and to help with reading across the screen. It doesn't indicate that a file is selected. A blue bar indicates that a file is selected. Well, at least in the default Noire skin.

Also, the "Recently Imported" item you clicked on is the Playlist. The other "subheadings" are other Playlists. I have no idea what you mean when you say you clicked on "Playlist" and it won't delete, unless you mean you clicked on the "Playlists" group heading, but in that case, at least in Windows, you won't see a file list and can't highlight a file.

Also, removing a file from a Playlist does not remove it from your computer. It just removes it from the Playlist.

To remove a music file from the MC Library and from your hard disk, find it in a View under the Audio heading in the left Navigation Bar, select it, hit delete (or the Mac equivalent), then select "Remove from Media Library and permanently delete from disk".

To remove a photo file from the MC Library but leave it on your hard disk so that "Photos" can still see it, find it in a View under the Images heading in the left Navigation Bar, select it, hit delete (or the Mac equivalent), then select "Remove from Media Library".
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

ugee

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 05:02:56 pm »

... hit delete (or the Mac equivalent) ...
But this Mac equivalent isn't obvious ...  ;)
As already mentioned: <cmd>+<backspace> is what I'd expect to trigger a delete because that's what I'm used to and that's what Cupertino says will do it: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201236 - but MC (being Windows by heart) uses <fn>+<backspace> and this way simply breaks the user experience on MacOS.

Edit note: removed irrelevant remark(s). (The "whining" actually, but it wasn't important enough to be left here after I went. Not really.) 8)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 05:16:02 pm »

But this Mac equivalent isn't obvious ...  ;)

Yes, I know, but I wasn't trying to address that issue as I no longer have a Mac in my home to check things on.

I was addressing the user understanding versus MC functionality issues.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 05:28:34 pm »

Whining costs extra.

ugee

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 05:30:40 pm »

Whining costs extra.
Yeah, I know ...  ;D

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 05:37:39 pm »

Actually from your link the Document Shortcuts would imply that Fn-Delete (Forward delete on keyboards that don't have a Forward Delete key. Or use Control-D.) would be the correct choice, since MC isn't in a dialogue when deleting a file from a Playlist. Ref:  Command-Delete   (Select Delete or Don't Save in a dialog that contains a Delete or Don't Save button.)

But I guess a user is more used to deleting stuff from lists in Finder, which does use Command-Delete   (Move the selected item to the Trash.) in the expected way.

Personally I would just have expected Delete key to send a Delete command, but as per https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT202676 it doesn't. This was always a strange thing for me when using a Mac.  ;D

It is a bit subjective though.

ugee

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 06:28:20 pm »

It is a bit subjective though.
Probably.

Coming from Windows myself I cannot understand why you went the Redmond way.  8)

Edit note: removed irrelevant remark(s).
Pages: [1]   Go Up