INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sync to handheld nearly always wants to re-sync all tracks  (Read 2048 times)

MichaelLondon

Sync to handheld nearly always wants to re-sync all tracks
« on: February 19, 2018, 03:39:16 pm »

Hi,

I am having some frustrations when syncing from JRiver to a Sony Walkman NW-ZX100.
I am running JRiver version 23 on windows.
Almost every time I sync my device it wants to re-sync all contents, almost 10,000 tracks which takes 8-10 hours (updating over wifi from a linux NAS).
Has anyone else had this problem or know how to resolve it?

I've tried with "Resync if date modified has changed" checked on and off.

Thanks
Michael

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sync to handheld nearly always wants to re-sync all tracks
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 05:38:55 pm »

Are you using the 32bit version of MC?
Which specific version? i.e. MC23.0.102?

I remember that if I clicked the "Recheck Sync" button, visible only when the device is connected, all files where synchronised again. So don't click that button.

The Wiki has a couple of pretty good articles;
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Sync_Handheld
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Handheld_Sync_Options

Glynor and I had a detailed discussion about Handheld Sync some time back. Read this post and the thread for more info, It may change your understanding of how Handheld Sync works. https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,101017.msg701187.html#msg701187
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

MichaelLondon

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 05:41:19 pm »

Hi RoderickGI,

Many thanks for your reply.  I didn't notice for a while that I got a reply (thought I would get an email or something).

I am using 23.0.102 (64 bit) version.

I have been trying to figure this out for a while now.. using all sorts of options.  Am pretty sure I understand the various sync settings.
If i start small in what I want to sync, it seems to work ok, new additions to the smart playlist i have selected to sync get added to the handheld successfully, and already synced files don't get re-synced, but at some point it will decide it needs to sync a portion of the library again. For example, I just just synced about 35 GB overnight.  After sync I tried a re-sync and it correctly said It was already fully in sync.  I the right-clicked on the device and selected "Rebuild Library" and it again said I needed to sync about 24GB again.   This is the same behaviour I get if I take the device out, plug back in and want to sync again.

I am pretty much at the end of my efforts but I can't find a decent alternative software.  It would be great to get some insight into how MC determines if something needs re-syncing, e.g. is it file name, track name, etc.    I do notice in the "to do" list for the sync, it follows a pattern of wanting to "QUEUE" a file with path "z:\music\etc\etc\.flac" (the path to my music share) and "delete on sync" the identical track but with file name "f:\music\etc\etc\.flac" (the path to my handheld).

Thanks again for the reply.

Regards
Michael

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 07:15:56 pm »

G'Day Michael,

I didn't notice for a while that I got a reply (thought I would get an email or something).

You only get email notifications from the forum if you have turned them on in Profile > Modify Profile > Notifications. Otherwise you have to come back to the forum and click the "Show new replies to your posts" link above.

I am using 23.0.102 (64 bit) version.

That should work fine as your Sony Walkman NW-ZX100 is visible as a drive letter in Windows.

I do notice in the "to do" list for the sync, it follows a pattern of wanting to "QUEUE" a file with path "z:\music\etc\etc\.flac" (the path to my music share) and "delete on sync" the identical track but with file name "f:\music\etc\etc\.flac" (the path to my handheld).

If you see that, check the Date Modified for some files on your PC versus the files on the device. Different? Maybe the device is changing the Date Modified when the files are saved to it. I don't think MC does. But check if there is a difference.

Note that if you change a tag that is stored in the file, then the Date Modified will be updated, and hence the file may be synchronised again, depending on that setting. You can easily tell which tags are stored in files by going to Options > Library & Folders > Manage Library Fields > then click the dropdown list in the top left corner and select "Show only fields saved in tags".

I don't sync a large number of files, so there could be an issue when that is the case. I haven't seen anyone say they have that issue, but there are quite a few threads on Handheld Sync about issues with the functionality. Maybe that has been an issue for others, but they haven't noticed.

It would be great to get some insight into how MC determines if something needs re-syncing, e.g. is it file name, track name, etc.

I'm pretty sure it is just;

Is the track (Library record of the track, which includes all the definition of the track) in the sync list, via a Playlist or manually added via Send To, Drag and Drop, or other methods,
does the file exist on the device, using the [Filename (name)] tag and the File & Path rules for the device,
and is the Date Modified the same on the PC and device,
hence, decide whether to sync (add, delete, or both to update) or not.

That is about all I have. The functionality seems pretty robust to me, although sometimes a little confusing, as shown by the thread I linked to above. Worth a read through if you haven't. If it really is just deciding to resync a large portion of the files again for no apparent reason, that is a new issue to me. But the Handheld Sync functionality is still incomplete and being worked on in the 64bit version of MC, so if the issue can be replicated by JRiver they will fix it, eventually.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up