INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sequence to Track number  (Read 1910 times)

kkowalski

• Recent member
Sequence to Track number
« on: February 20, 2018, 06:23:28 am »

Hi,
my kids have headphones that can play mp3 files from a mini SD card. Unfortunately it's impossible to persuade the headphone to change the folder. This forces to copy all tracks to the main directory of the SD card. This leads to a confusion of tracks, as they usually have the track number in the front of the file name. If I copy now all tracks from two folders into the main directory the following order results:
01 - First Album - First Title
01 - Second Album - First Title
02 - First album - Second title
02 - Second album - second title
etc.
So that's nonsense, especially in audiobooks.
My question: Can you convert the order of a playlist (the field [Seq.]) as a function in the track number?
I have tried it with Counter () but this function counts on its own and on.
Does somebody has any idea?

Greeting Knut

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Sequence to Track number
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 07:05:07 am »

Would playlists work?  Can you just drag the playlist to the card?

MC has a Library Tool called "Fill Track# from List order" but be careful not to cause problems with your own data.  A temp directory and a new library could handle it.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 11:06:10 pm »

Playlists would work if the headphones can use them. But if they only read the file name and sort in that sequence, then you must rename the files so that they sort in the order you want.

I thought of using the Sync Handheld functionality, but that only rename directories and not file names when it is used to sync to a device, such as a memory card.

That leaves you with using the Rename, Move, & Copy Files function to mass rename the files so that they sort as you wish, just as StFeder suggested.

Would not it be easiest to change the order in the filename? So that the album title is first and the track number second? Then look like this:

First Album - 01 - First Title
First Album - 02 - Second Title
Second Album - 01 - First Title
Second Album - 02 - Second Title

So, assuming that the headphones only sort by file name, that it can't read tags at all, and that audio books are the most difficult case, this is what I would do;

Add a field to the Library, perhaps called [PlayOrder]. Make it an Integer. "Options > Library & Folders > Manage Library Fields...".
Insert the empty memory card into a reader connected to your PC so that it has a visible drive letter. If not empty, delete the contents, as you are effectively doing a refresh of the books on the card, not a synchronisation of files.
Create a playlist of the files you want to put onto the memory card. Sort it the way you want it sorted, so probably by [Album]-[Track #], where [Album] is the audiobook name, and [Track #] is the chapter number.
Add the [PlayOrder] tag as a column into the Playlist view you are using so that you can populate the tag.
Select all files in the Playlist, and then rename the [PlayOrder] tag to "=Counter()" without the quotes. The [PlayOrder] tag will be populated with numbers 1 to x, where x is the number of files.
Press F6, or right-click and select "Library Tools > Rename, Move, & Copy Files".
In the Rename, Move, & Copy Files dialogue set the top drop-down list to "Copy". Make sure it is just "Copy" and not set to update the Library.
Tick the Directories box and set the Base Path to the drive letter of the memory card.
Clear the Directory rule.
Tick the Filename box and set the rule to "[PlayOrder] - [Album] - [Track #] - [Name]", or something similar, as long as the first tag is [PlayOrder]. The rest of the filename just makes the file name human readable.
You will be able to see the proposed file names and their sequence on the right of the dialogue.
Click OK and wait for the copy to finish.

You will now have a set of play order sequenced files on your memory card, ready to insert into the headphones.

I tested the above. It works.

Of course, each time you start to play something in the headphones it is going to start from the beginning I assume. Unless it remembers where it was up to, your kids are going to have to jump forward through the files to where they were up to. Not ideal, but the above method sorts the files the way you want. It would be pretty quick and easy to do as well. You could easily update the Playlist and re-copy so that unread books are moved to the beginning of the order, but read books are still on the memory card, just later.

Really the above is just to give you an idea of what you could do in MC to get around the shortcomings of the headphones. You will probably want to adjust the process based on information I don't have.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

kkowalski

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 03:00:21 am »

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. First of all I'll follow the idea of StFeder.
The headphones actually do not read playlists, as they can't handle folders. I think, there are quit a lot devices out which are that stupid, annoying but should I throw them away?

It would be nice, if MC offer an eays way to convert the sequence number to the track number as I first asked for, but I don't know, how extravagant such a solution would be.

Regards, Knut

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 01:31:55 pm »

Your welcome.

The better solution all around would be to have a smartphone or tablet managing the audiobooks etc. and just use Bluetooth headphones with that.

Your kids are going to get sick of scrolling through lots of chapters to find what they want.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up