INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TheaterView Library Category According to File Location?  (Read 1023 times)

jsmith967

• Junior Woodchuck
TheaterView Library Category According to File Location?
« on: February 20, 2018, 06:32:49 am »

Hello,

I want TheaterView to display files that are in a certain file folder on my hard drive. For example, I have file folder "Temporary" that are full of movies that I only want to watch once and then delete. I have imported these temporary movies and can view them with my "permanent" movies by name but I also want to be able to only view them by themselves in a "temporary" Library Item. How can I best do this?

Another question (but less important): Is there any way way to automatically delete files in JRiver?Ideally, once I have watched a "temporary" movie, I want JRiver to remove it from my Library and hard drive. I would want this to happen on a delay with a formula like, "Delete files after 3 days from this folder once those files have been watched 85% or more."

I really hate to start a new thread but I am at a loss. If there is an existing thread, please point me to it.

Thanks for the help!

-Joshua

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: TheaterView Library Category According to File Location?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 06:51:12 am »

On the Theater View menu, look under Gadgets > Explorer.

Theater View can be customized.  It's in the Options.

jsmith967

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 12:29:15 pm »

Thank you for your reply.

I realize that there is a way to customize the view in Theater View. However, I have been unsuccessful at finding a way to show files according to their location on the disk. I have selected "Filename (path)" and typed in the field "D:\temporary" hoping that it would pull all files within that directory to no avail. TheaterView simply says "no items to display." I have also tried to show the files by creating a unique grouping tag "temporary" and telling TheaterView to show all files that have the associated grouping. Again, TheaterView indicates "no items to display." I'm sure there is a simple explanation for this. Any other suggestions?

As I already mentioned, showing files that are in a certain directory may not be the best way to go as "grouping" or some other library field may be more suited to my end goal. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 12:41:09 pm »

Its pretty simple, actually, you probably just lacked one tiny step from the sound of it. But for completeness sake, lets go through the full process:

You'll find the Theater View "views" in the Options under Theater View - naturally. At the bottom of the dialog all current views are available for editing, or adding new ones.
So now lets add a new one. Start off by finding the spot you want it at, in the default Layout I would suggest putting it under the "Video" main heading, in any position you like.

Click, for example, on the "Video" entry, and click the "Add" button on the right, and select "Library Item" from the dropdown.
Then make sure its positioned properly in tree, you can move it up and down, and Nest/Unnest it with the buttons on the bottom right of the tree. You want it nested under "Video", but not any deeper. It can be a bit finnicky to get the positon just right if you don't know the behavior yet.

Now that you have your fresh view, name it any way you want on the Right, and Click "Set rules for file display"
Add following rules:
- "Media Type" is "Video"
- "Media Sub Type" is "Movie"
- "Filename (path)" starts with "D:\temporary"

Basically the first two just make sure that MC knows its a movie view, this ensures it behaves like you expect.
The third rule is the one that actually controls what you need - the important part is using "starts with", because exact matches are a bit annoying to get right.

Hope this works for you. Creating such views really isn't that complicated once you get a hang for it.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jsmith967

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 04:14:43 pm »

That worked, thanks so much for going through the steps. I really appreciate it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up