INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming from JRiver Media Center to Yamaha Aventage BD-A1040  (Read 3146 times)

CWillCalho

• Recent member
Streaming from JRiver Media Center to Yamaha Aventage BD-A1040
« on: February 20, 2018, 07:38:48 am »

First question: I am able to stream over wifi from my iMac using JRiver Media Center to my blurray device.  Do I lose any sound quality when streaming? It shows the correct bitrate in Media Center.

However, if I turn my TV on to view the audio names it shows that it is a wav file not what is coming from the source.  Why is that?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Streaming from JRiver Media Center to Yamaha Aventage BD-A1040
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 09:36:01 am »

In Options on the server, check the settings for the conversion.

Tools > Options > Media Network > Add or Edit Servers

CWillCalho

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 10:19:59 am »

Thank you!  I took a screenshot of what it looks like as it plays to my 1040.  It shows the proper bitrate here, but on the TV it says WAV, of which I have none.  I don't have to have the TV on; in fact, if the music is already playing and I turn the TV on, there's a slight interruption which tells me that maybe the TV is switching the audio format.

Also, regardless of the TV, will the stream be of the same quality as what it says on the computer?

Thanks in advance!

Bill

CWillCalho

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 12:15:52 pm »

Two more screenshots...  Are these settings correct?

dichotomous1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 01:05:00 am »

CWill,
I stream from my MacBook Pro to my Aventage 3070 receiver and agree with JimH regarding the server conversion settings.  I just removed all file types tp be converted and all passes through.  But another thing I noticed; when I have the TV on to view settings etc, my MacBook only offers the audio resolution offered by the TV, not the receiver.  Mac OS reads the settings through the HDMI connection, so it is limited to 48k.  Once I turn off the TV, the MacBook reverts to the HiRes available via the receiver.

Hope that helps.

J

CWillCalho

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 07:37:28 am »

Thanks J!  What do you mean by "I just removed all file types to be converted and all passes through."?

CWillCalho

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 11:49:23 am »

I do notice that the streaming stops when it gets to an aiff file.  I wonder if it is the fault of Media Center or my Yamaha BD-A1040.

dichotomous1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 01:31:13 pm »

Regarding removing the file types:
You can configure different profiles for servers/media players.  Most likely since you are already streaming, there is a generic DLNA device profile there. You can either alter that one or configure a new one. 
Using the tree, navigate to Services and Plugins. Then the green DLNA logo with Media Network.  When the Media Network page opens, go to configure at the top. 
From there you can create a profile or alter the generic. 
There is a pull down window for file types to convert.  I unchecked them all.
I've just fiddled with these settings, then try playback and see what sticks.
Also, I have found if you are streaming to multiple Zones and the Music Cast app with Media Center, it's best not to link the Zones in MC as it doesn't seem to sync with the Music Cast link.

Regarding the AIFF files.  Mine don't play either, but I've had previous issues with an external drive.  My recovered files have many corruptions particularly to AIFF files. 
I purchased YATE for retagging and reorganizing my library.  The developers offer a free app Audio File Health Check.
You can find it here:   https://2manyrobots.com/plaster/
In the end, I've found it easier just to convert most all of my files to FLAC, then they play just fine. 
Often, I have experienced, files converted with MC don't always playback on different devices. (ie my car plays it but the portable device doesn't etc)  I downloaded a free app from the Apple App Store :  Sound Converter.  The app itself is a bit slow and will crash if you give it too many to convert at once, but I've not had a playback issue on any of my sources. And you can convert to different sample and bitrates which I have found can slightly improve the quality.
Hope that helps

CWillCalho

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 02:48:15 pm »

Yamaha confirmed that aiff files are not supported on their BD-A1040.  I converted with Media Center to flac and so far streaming has worked out great from JRiver.
Pages: [1]   Go Up