INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copy Thumbnails from 22 to 23  (Read 1405 times)

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Copy Thumbnails from 22 to 23
« on: February 22, 2018, 05:55:41 pm »

I am upgrading my IdPi from MC22 to MC23 with a new SD card. Must I rebuild thumbnails or can I copy them over from my MC22 Card?

Why not include thumbnails in library backup?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Copy Thumbnails from 22 to 23
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 06:16:05 pm »

You could probably back up in MC22 and restore in MC23.

File > Library > Library Manager

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 01:28:40 pm »

I backed up my MC22 library and restored it to my MC23 sd card. No problems there.
Now I am building 100,000 thumbnails. It will take at least 7 hours and my Pi cannot be used while in the process.
I'm curious why there isn't an option to include thumbnails in the library backup to avoid this. I have actually been wondering this for years, but just bring it up now. It would be a nice feature.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 05:11:40 pm »

The main obstacle to including the thumbs in the library backup is that for a large library (100k files) the thumbs take up between .5Gb and 1Gb.  I agree it would be nice if JRiver would copy over generated thumbnails from a prior version when they're present so they don't have to be regenerated, but including them in the library backups would make the backups huge and take a while to write.

A checkbox to add the thumbs to a library backup would be very handy.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 05:18:37 pm »

A checkbox to add the thumbs to a library backup would be very handy.
I Agree. It just took me 12 hours to build thumbnails. While it was a painless process, obviously it would be nicer it didn't have to be done.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 08:41:34 pm »

You could have just copied the thumbnail database directories across manually, when MC wasn't running of course, which would be easy if you were copying them from one SD card to another.

They are stored in "C:\Users\[UserID]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 23\Thumbnails" in Windows and have names like "{4F3F17FF-27D8-4413-9D09-A77EDF831ABC}", one for each MC Library. I'm sure you could find the Linux version on the SD card.

My only concern with that would be that the indexing of thumbnails was still relevant to the Library you are using. So backup the originals on your new SD card first (if any) and if the wrong thumbnails show up for Albums you will need to restore the backups, or just delete the directories and rebuild thumbnails anyway.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up