INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some things I'd like to see in MC24  (Read 2593 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
Some things I'd like to see in MC24
« on: February 24, 2018, 08:58:35 am »

I realize no one asked, but here some things I think will improve MC...

The bottom toolbar shows "Saving tag changes (# remaining)" whenever it's updating files.  Great.  But, it replaces the information about the files selected until these changes finish.  I'd really like to see it become a separate stat, next to the file information text, so I can see both at the same time.

I use the detached video window a LOT.  I often watch some show while working on my laptop, and it's fantastic for that.  But, I really would like to see a way for me to force it to use the aspect ratio of the video I'm watching, automatically.  I'm constantly resizing the window to show only the video and not any black around the video.  I loved how Windows MC allowed you to grab any side or corner of the window and drag, and the window resizes in all directions to maintain the aspect ratio automatically.  Very user friendly.

Related to the above, if I am moving the window (to see something behind it) and accidentally get it too close to any edge of my desktop, it tries to resize per windows rules, and I often end up with a window that's way wider or taller than the video playing, and I have to manually resize the window again; very annoying.

Also related to the detached window.  I'd like to see a minimal border if at all possible; removing the minimize, maximize, close buttons/toolbar and saving that space which I almost never use.  I have to r-click to reattach, and I'd be happy if I needed to r-click to min/max/close too.  Keeping the window as small as possible just makes it that much better, IMO.  Maybe these buttons can me made to appear on hover over the top right corner instead of being visible all the time.

Finally, about the detached window, in MC 24 there is now a white border around the video, which I find distracting.  I just checked and 23 doesn't have this border, which is much better.

I'd like the ability to sort and scroll fields in a window while uploading to a handleld or analyzing audio or rename/move/copy.  For rename/move/copy, I can click the headers, but it doesn't actually sort the list.  During an upload or analysis (and maybe other actions), I can sort the columns, but whenever I try to scroll in the window to see something other than the file being 'processed' MC immediately scrolls back to put the active file in the window.  I often want to see what's been processed, or remains to be processed in this window, and this behavior makes that futile.

I'd like the ability to pop the cover art window out of the action window, and have it always open while tagging.  Maybe using the detached video window code will make this easier to implement.

I'm sure there's more, but after a recent bout of bulk tagging, these are the ones I'd most like to see.

Thanks for consideration.
pretend this is something funny

steff

• World Citizen
Re: Some things I'd like to see in MC24
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 06:06:03 pm »

the possibility to customize the Theatre View.
Remove volume button, remove rating bar, etc

Linn LP12 Turntable + Akito + K9 + Audio Analogue Paganini SE + Electa Amator
piCore Player + nVidia Shield + Xiaomi MiBox S + UAPP
Teac UD-503 + M2Tech HiFace
Cisco 3850 + 1815i + Dell T440 2x Xeon 4210

RD James

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 01:20:37 am »

The bottom toolbar shows "Saving tag changes (# remaining)" whenever it's updating files.  Great.  But, it replaces the information about the files selected until these changes finish.  I'd really like to see it become a separate stat, next to the file information text, so I can see both at the same time.
I would also prefer this to show up as a progress bar in the sidebar like downloads, format conversions, import status etc, rather than replacing the status bar.

millst

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 10:14:22 am »

Related to the above, if I am moving the window (to see something behind it) and accidentally get it too close to any edge of my desktop, it tries to resize per windows rules, and I often end up with a window that's way wider or taller than the video playing, and I have to manually resize the window again; very annoying.

You mean snap assist? That's not MC. Just turn it off in settings. It's under Settings->System->Multitasking in Windows 10.

I'm not a fan of apps that try to get creative by getting rid of standard OS window controls (max, min, close buttons). It's bad UX design. I could live with it on the video window as long as it's configurable.

-tm

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 07:37:21 pm »

I would also prefer this to show up as a progress bar in the sidebar like downloads, format conversions, import status etc, rather than replacing the status bar.

+1 on the Action Window progress bar, with a Cancel/Undo button, for ANY long running tagging operation. I think you can keep using the current Status Bar for operations that take less than 10 seconds or so to complete, but for longer stuff, it should "pop out" to the Action Window.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 03:37:12 am »

I'd prefer that, too :) If it is not possible (or not wanted) for any reason, maybe there is enough space for displaying both infos at the same time in the status bar as JustinChase suggested?!

Aircub

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 11:48:29 am »

I would like to see upgrades to JRemote for mac users. I use JRemote all the time and only use the Mac MC interface when I have to.

I would particularly like to be able to remove tracks from a playlist rather than having to do it on the mac.

I have just purchased a MC 24 licence and look forward to the new features. Thanks to all the hard work by the development team.

Fingerling

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 04:05:59 am »

Would also like a progress bar, Theater View customization options and JRemote upgrades on both platforms.

Things I'de like to see since MC21:
  • Revised UI/views (aesthetic)
  • More customization options (e.g. hide Services & Plug-ins or easily change font type, size and colour)
  • Improving JRemote. Or Panel. But anyway a nice, secure and bug-free way to remotely control JRiver MC that can display the exact same views as the user's library views, rapidly build thumbnails, show track progression, display an alphabet...
  • Separate audio/video interfaces
  • Continue to make tagging easier and faster

+ PDF thumbnails

:-*

jb82

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 07:39:20 am »

I would agree with those mentioning that the UI needs updating. In fact the whole J River 'brand', website etc. as well as MC itself could do with dragging into the 2020s by a competent graphic designer. The trouble is, it needs a complete overhaul, not just some afterthought skins that make the UI look incoherent.

I wouldn't imagine this would be cheap, but surely we are hitting diminishing returns on other features now?

By the by, I do think some there are some small but worthwhile tweaks that should definitely be made to Theatre View...

Cover art related:
- Option to disable strange grey backdrop in 3D walls - looks like a bad artifact tbh
- Option to disable rotation of cover art in details view
- Option to change cover spacing, cover size and number of rows in 3D walls
- Option to disable elastic/floating effects
- Page Up and Page down also work for horizontal (not just vertical) scrolling (as per WMC)
- Fix issue with cover art that does not have exact required aspect ratio (animations are jerky - seems to be because covers get resized post animation)

General
- Shortcuts for +/- audio delay offset (for fine tuning during setup and the fact that some releases need some adjustment) - DONE :-)
- Option to change order of OSD items (e.g. show progress bar first instead of Playing Now etc.)
- Option to remove/change shadow on all text
- Better text antialiasing (WMC seems to beat every MC out there in this respect)
- Optional home shortcut to go back to top menu
- Back button to return all the way to top menu, whatever prior navigation took place

Speaking of diminishing returns.... having fairly recently purchased MC23, I was disappointment, but unsurprised to see BR menu support pushed to MC24 – the devs certainly know how to dangle a small carrot when it comes to new versions of MC! I may just have to resist the urge to upgrade until UHD playback also becomes important... No doubt UHD menu support will be the killer feature of MC25, but we'll still have the outdated UI :-)

Fingerling

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 09:04:50 am »

I would agree with those mentioning that the UI needs updating. In fact the whole J River 'brand', website etc. as well as MC itself could do with dragging into the 2020s by a competent graphic designer.

Thanks because I didn't dare tell this, but I have also the impression that someone is missing in the interface/design departement. Even Panel... No offense.

Speaking of diminishing returns.... having fairly recently purchased MC23, I was disappointment, but unsurprised to see BR menu support pushed to MC24 – the devs certainly know how to dangle a small carrot when it comes to new versions of MC! I may just have to resist the urge to upgrade until UHD playback also becomes important... No doubt UHD menu support will be the killer feature of MC25, but we'll still have the outdated UI :-)

Aaand this too. Skeptical about development choices. Again no offense. ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up