INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Room Correction: Normal behaviour or a bug?  (Read 1241 times)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Room Correction: Normal behaviour or a bug?
« on: February 25, 2018, 02:43:50 pm »

I've been measuring various DSP functions as part of updating the wiki & made it to Room Correction. This behaviour does not look like what I'd expect and wanted to see if someone can explain why it is behaving like this or whether it's a bug.

The setup is an ASIO loopback measurement using REW, i.e. REW -> ASIO line in -> MC -> ASIO -> REW so the signal path is completely clean.

Next I created a new zone with default settings and configured DSP studio as follows;

- set output format to 7.1, turned off JRSS and any other output format accoutrements
- turned on room correction with 0 delays and gain adjustments, all channels to set move bass to subwoofer with default slopes (12dB/octave high pass, 48dB/octave low pass)

i.e. the intent is to simply verify the behaviour of the room correction tab.

I then took 3 measurements

- the high passed L channel
- the SW channel playing the low passed L channel only
- the SW channel playing the LFE channel only (i.e. I used a PEQ mixing step to move L to SW and placed this before Room Correction)

The result is shown in the attached pic.

2 comments

- the low passed L channel has lost 10dB but the main channel has not
- the LFE channel is played full range

the former looks wrong to me unless "room correction" depends on some device downstream increasing the SW channel by 10dB
the latter is just something I've never seen documented and is unusual in AVR terms (i.e. there is usually an LPF of LFE option somewhere and jriver does not provide such an option).

I don't recall if the former (i.e. adding 10dB to the SW channel) is normal behaviour for an AVR when presented with a x.1 PCM stream and I don't have one to hand to test for myself.

Is this expected, and normal, behaviour that just needs documenting or is it a bug?
Pages: [1]   Go Up