INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View settings are gone  (Read 1356 times)

jsbenson

• Recent member
Theater View settings are gone
« on: February 25, 2018, 02:46:15 pm »

I was adding a new item my theater view settings, and all my theater view settings have disappeared!  I saved, and went to check out my latest changes in theater view, and all my items, old and new, are completely gone.  I didn't do anything to reset the library, or anything like that.

Can anyone help me get all my settings back?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Theater View settings are gone
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 02:56:03 pm »

MC makes regular automatic backups. Start the Restore process and see if you have one recent enough to just restore.

File > Library > Restore Library > Browse.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jsbenson

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 03:19:24 pm »

Unfortunately, I'm getting the error "Library restore failed.  Unable to load library"

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 03:38:08 pm »

Oh, that isn't good.

I would start with a complete virus scan of your PC, including malware. Something must be interfering with the MC Library files for that to happen. Either that or your hard disk is failing. Copy some of your recent backups to another drive or memory card now, and make sure anything else important on the disk is backed up. Or better yet, backup the whole drive. Then check the drive for errors.

If that all comes back clear, and you do have a good recent backup, I would Clear the Library ( File > Library > CLear Library) and then try the Restore again.

If still no good, might be best to uninstall MC, reinstall, then Restore. Backups aren't deleted when you uninstall.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jsbenson

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 03:57:39 pm »

Its an SSD, so I doubt its the drive.  It's clean (no malware or anything).  I was looking at the backups, and the last one that was performed was from last year.  Seemed odd.  I did just do the Win10 Anniversary update, and had forgotten how many things are effected.  Maybe it has something to do with that.  I'm checking some stuff out, so hopefully I'll figure it out.  If not, then I know to start doing my own backups before any major changes.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 04:27:57 pm »

Search for zip files.  The backups should be there.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 06:26:30 pm »

Its an SSD, so I doubt its the drive.

Yeah, I thought that until my SSD failed, which I recovered and then restored a full backup. The drive reported as fine. No errors anymore. Then I lost another hard drive, so had to clear space including the backup I had of my SSD to do the recovery for that. Then my SSD failed again, with no backup now, and I had to reinstall Windows and lots of applications. Luckily I still had a backup of my email database so I didn't lose all the history in that.

When SSDs fail, they go quick.

Check the SSD properly by checking its S.M.A.R.T. attribute(s) and the manufacturer's tools. I use Hard Disk Sentinel to monitor all my drives now, in addition to having enough space for regular full backups.

The automatic backups should be in the directory specified in "Options > File Location > Program Files > Library backups", but search for any others elsewhere.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 06:48:10 pm »

RoderickGI's advice is excellent.  Assumptions are often regretted.

jsbenson

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 07:08:15 pm »

Alright, I was able to restore my library.  Even though I'm using JR-22, my backups were going to the JRiver-21 folder.  Whew!  That was going to be a lot of work, rebuilding my expressions and everything!
Pages: [1]   Go Up