INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request/ Integrating HQ player as a playback option  (Read 6198 times)

AudioNick

Feature Request/ Integrating HQ player as a playback option
« on: March 01, 2018, 11:48:25 am »

I own JRiver and love its interface but Roon allows you to integrate HQ player as play back engine.

Any chance of doing this as a new 24 feature, lots of HQ player fans out there looking to avoid Roon.

Thanks.......

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Feature Request/ Integrating HQ player as a playback option
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 11:52:12 am »

Thats not very likely, sorry.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

tboooe

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 12:06:15 pm »

Thats not very likely, sorry.

This is why I am no longer a JRiver customer though I totally respect the decision.  Its a shame, MC has great library management features but at least for me, there are better playback options available like HQ Player.   

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 12:10:14 pm »

Please explain why you think it's better.  It's pretty hard to improve on perfect quality audio unless you start to manipulate the sound.  Is that what you want?  Maybe DSP Studio would give you options.

tyler69

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 12:16:55 pm »

While I do not use HQPlayer, I assume offering more options in the DSD domain is one thing that HQPlayer does.

tboooe

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 12:23:19 pm »

Please explain why you think it's better.  It's pretty hard to improve on perfect quality audio unless you start to manipulate the sound.  Is that what you want?  Maybe DSP Studio would give you options.
Without getting into a "bit perfect" debate, lets just say I prefer the playback options and network that HQ Player allows with a remote Network Audio Adapter (NAA). 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 12:26:02 pm »

OK.  So bit perfect isn't perfect?  OK.

Playback via network has been part of the MC eco-system for a decade.  Are you suggesting that the size of the software makes a quality difference in the audio?

Or do you want an assortment of filters to play with?

I'm interested in details.  You may not get agreement, but I'm listening.

tboooe

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 12:34:16 pm »

OK.  So bit perfect isn't perfect?  OK.

Playback via network has been part of the MC eco-system for a decade.  Are you suggesting that the size of the software makes a quality difference in the audio?

Or do you want an assortment of filters to play with?

I'm interested in details.  You may not get agreement, but I'm listening.

Thank you for being willing to at least listen.  I really appreciate that. 

I dont know what you meant by "size of the software" but yes, many folks like the assortment of modulators and filters HQ Player has, especially for converting PCM to DSD64/128/256/512.  To a lesser degree, being able to physically separate the pc running HQ Player and the NAA end point on the network has both set up and sound quality benefit.  I think at the end of the day, its about options. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 12:40:15 pm »

I assume you must know that MC can be used in a client/server mode.  The Media Network topic on our wiki has information about it.

So is it accurate to say that you do want to manipulate the sound?  Filters do that, correct?

Have you thoroughly explored DSP Studio?

MC offers a lot of different choices for conversion.  Are there any you lack?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 12:53:35 pm »

HQPlayer is essentially takes a lot of the upsampling technology found in modern day DACs and does it on the PC. This provides far more flexibility than any one DAC can currently provide.  Here is a list of some of the options, from their web page.

Resampling filters:

12 linear phase
    7 minimum phase
    3 impulse optimal
    2 closed form

Dithers and noise-shapers:

4 dithers
    4 noise shapers

Delta-Sigma conversion:

8 modulators
    21 oversampling filters (64x - 1024x)
    Direct rate conversions
    Digital volume control
    Convolution engine
    Routing and mixing

These are options that a lot of audiophiles want to experiment with. They various options have various subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) differences.  The options are quite different than the typical DSPs in MC. 

It would not be practical for JRiver to try to duplicate the wide range of options that are implemented in HQPlayer. Roon ran into the same issues and built an interface between Roon and HQPlayer. A large number of Roon users use it in this way.   They do this because the HQPlayer user interface is not very good. Playback is their strength, not the UI. MC has a big following because of its database and UI capabilities. Marrying it to the HQPlayer would provide an option for people who are really interested in the playback capability but want to continue to use the MC database and interface.

Think of HQPlayer as a extremely flexible DAC implementation in software.  It has a pretty large following. Using MC as a front end might have a pretty good following, although Roon has established a pretty strong presence in that market.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 01:09:01 pm »

Just to be clear, we're not going to use HQPlayer for audio out.

We are interested in the possibility of adding filters.  Matt just started this thread:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114660.msg792878.html#msg792878

Your advice there would be welcome.  Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up