INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Import Folder Configuration  (Read 1304 times)

greynolds

• Citizen of the Universe
Feature Request: Import Folder Configuration
« on: March 01, 2018, 07:10:53 pm »

I'd like to see the import folder configuration changed such that rules could be easily applied to a list of folders rather than having to manually edit the rules for each folder in the list, as it works currently.

I have my media spread out over a number of individual hard drives, rather than a single volume and every time I add another drive, I have to completely set the import rules up for that new drive.  The way this works, it is a bit tedious to ensure that the rules are configured the same for all the folders they should apply to.

Instead, it would be nice to be able to have a list of rule definitions where a list of folders can be added that should use those rules.  So when a new folder is added that should use one of the existing rule definitions, you add that folder to the list and you're done.

With this change, people could still have different rules for every folder as you can today, if desired.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Feature Request: Import Folder Configuration
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 08:11:22 pm »

Would a "clone from ...." maybe work?

greynolds

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 08:38:42 pm »

Would a "clone from ...." maybe work?
That would certainly be an improvement, but definitely not ideal.  For example, what if I want to change the configuration later?  With the clone feature, I would then need to reconfigure settings for each folder instead of just once for the profile.

Existing configurations could be migrated by just creating a separate profile for each folder.  It would be up to the user to consolidate folders with identical profiles into a single profile to clean up their configuration.

Internally, when you make use of the import configuration, it should be pretty easy to expand the profiles into the structure you currently use so you wouldn’t need to rework all of the underlying import logic.  So this should require some UI redesign and a change to the function that loads the configuration for the import logic.

RD James

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 02:04:57 am »

Cloning helps with the initial set-up but does little to help managing existing rules.
Having a single rule which points at a list of folders would make configuration considerably easier.

There are a couple of other changes which would make certain configurations easier too:
1. A new mode: "Import this folder, but exclude sub-folders"
2. Being able to exclude files from import based on a rule. For example, I find it frustrating that Media Center often imports partial downloads from YouTube-dl, which saves video and audio tracks separately before merging them.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 10:56:08 pm »

I would love to see this feature implemented.
What I have suggested in the past is to have an "Import/Export" button like used when customizing views or making smartlists.

I have 7 video drives and 14 import rules for videos which means, if I started from scratch, I would have to copy and paste 98 times to set up auto import. Then I still have photos, books, games, etc. I use tag on import for everything and I welcome any improvements.
Pages: [1]   Go Up