INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: handheld sync with variable for pathnames  (Read 1272 times)

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
Feature Request: handheld sync with variable for pathnames
« on: March 02, 2018, 03:30:04 am »

My perennial request....

It would be fantastic if it supported filename renaming in addition to path templates.

Handheld Sync works for copying files when using MC as a client connected to an MC server library.

However, the renamer DOES NOT.  You can use Handheld sync to copy tracks, but you can't use the other.  I get why, of course, since the renaming tool is affecting the source files themselves.  Where the sync tool is only making copies. 

I'd love to have the handheld sync feature support filename templates.

Using the full range of Predefined Library Types would be great, of course, but I'd be more than happy with a subset if it made things simpler.  I know throwing in a feature like this may not be something simple.  But it'd really add some needed functionality. 

I regularly come across users on other forums looking for a good media wrangling tool for their car radios.  MC is still one of the best tools for doing this.  Having sync handle file renaming would be a very helpful addition for this purpose.

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Feature Request: handheld sync with variable for pathnames
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 10:27:54 am »

+1 for this.

For my dumb bathroom speaker, I sync a playlist onto TF card, then have to manually rename them with a random number in the filename (actually the last 3 digital of file size) so the speaker will shuffle them. To resync with more music, I have to rename them all back again, resync, then rename. It would be great if MC could calculate the handheld filename using a custom pattern, then check the sync using that

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 10:24:50 am »

Bump, any movement on this?  Please?

Seems simple, enough, let us use the filename template variable for the output filename when doing a device sync.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 11:12:52 am »

Coming in MC25 we'll have this.

The history:
NEW: Added the option "Audio Filename Rule" to Options > Handheld to allow a rule to be set (ie. [Artist] - [Name]).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 11:14:22 am »

Yay!  I was just debating if patiently paying for yet another release would be worth it.

justsomeguy

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 02:15:14 am »

Coming in MC25 we'll have this.

The history:
NEW: Added the option "Audio Filename Rule" to Options > Handheld to allow a rule to be set (ie. [Artist] - [Name]).

I remember asking about this years ago. I'm glad to see it being added.

Will there be a way to preserve file order of the playlist being synced by renaming the file something like [Seq] - [Artist] - [Name]
I know [Seq] is not a valid field but when dealing with car audio head unit none that I know of playback based on a playlist file on the flash drive, that file is ignored. So your synced files do not playback in the correct order. It's all filename and path based to determine playback order.

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 07:58:57 am »

There's quite a few types of library fields, but I don't know if there's a 'sequence number' for items in a playlist. 

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Predefined_Library_Fields

Given handheld sync currently also supports setting up a sync from podcasts it'd be interesting to how that would fit into the Seq question.  I don't make use of the Podcasting features, at least not in MC. 

I concur, I've yet to encounter a car audio head unit that supported playlist files, at least not in a useful manner.  Now, this could be due to the fact that most car audio head units have both horrible documentation and crappy USB support.   So while there might be a few that DO support playlists, most I encounter only do filename sorting.  SOME do metadata sorting based on MP3 tags, but usually only by an artist or track name tag (and then it's still hit-or-miss).

I'm hopeful once we have filename renaming during handheld sync it'll open the door to community conversations on useful template formats for different head unit types.  I've got a BMW-based radio in a Mini Cooper, a Porsche PCM radio and now a Fusion Marine head unit.  I'm very much looking forward to experimenting with variations on filenames and directory structures.
Pages: [1]   Go Up