INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help getting cover art updates to external hard drive.  (Read 1415 times)

Baronpeloton

• Recent member
Help getting cover art updates to external hard drive.
« on: March 03, 2018, 06:21:07 pm »

Have MC 23 on trial. Use windows 7 laptop. Have music download files on the laptop. Also keep them on external hard drive. Not a computer expert.

After library was built, I filled in missing cover art from internet. That works so cool. Unfortunately it didn't work as expected. Thought the art would be added to the correct album on the external hard drive. The art work shows in the library but still isn't on the external hard drive. How do I fix this?

Thanks.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help getting cover art updates to external hard drive.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 07:05:28 pm »

"Options > File Location > Cover Art > Audio Mode"

Set it to "In the same folder as the file". I think MC will move the Cover Art for you when you make that change, but I'm not sure. It does move the files if you change the setting under "Options > File Location > Cover Art > Folder". You may wish to set that setting to a location on your external drive as well, and you may want to tick the box "Also store image in the file's tag" if you don't mind the increase in file size that will entail.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Cover_Art

Of course, if you are normally playing files that are stored on your laptop, rather than the copies on the external drive, that is a whole other issue. Are you using the external drive as a backup, or are you always playing from there?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Baronpeloton

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 08:07:24 pm »

Thanks for the help. I download and rip CDs to the computer. Then transfer them to external hard drive. Usually the computer is not used to play music. The external hard drive is then plugged into an Oppo 105 disc player to play in main system.

So is the updated cover art, showing up now in the library, stored on the laptop's hard drive or somewhere on the external hard drive other than the matching music folder?

I will try your recommendations. Thank you.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 09:43:00 pm »

So is the updated cover art, showing up now in the library, stored on the laptop's hard drive or somewhere on the external hard drive other than the matching music folder?

The Cover Art is stored inside the media file if you tick that box and also where you tell MC to store it using the settings under "Options > File Location > Cover Art"

With your arrangement, I would strongly recommend that you change the external drive letter so that it isn't in the early part of the alphabet, otherwise Windows may change the drive letter at its whim and leave you without access to your music. I recommend changing it to the "M:" drive; M for Music. That is neat, avoids Windows changing the drive letter, and is a personal preference.  :)

I wrote a bunch of instructions for user rsg recently that you could read to work out how to change the drive letter and then tell MC where to find the files again. Have a read through and see how you go. Sorry it is long and wordy. https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114430.0.html

Also look at changing your library backups to your external drive. But leave the actual MC Library on your laptop.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Baronpeloton

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 06:07:09 pm »

@RoderickGI, followed your steps to permanently change drive letter to M. Worked fine.

Still following the instructions you linked to, I am stuck on this step:

" B3. Now we are going to tell MC to look on drive M: instead of drive F:. Press F6 to open the "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" function. Note that this won't move any files, just update the Library, which is an index of files. "

My files are all selected in blue and it states total file number at bottom of page. When clicking f6 nothing seems to happen. Don't see the "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" function.
Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 06:36:14 pm »

Try the Tools Menu to get to Rename, Move and Copy.

When you don't know what to do, always consider the wiki:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files
Pages: [1]   Go Up