INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to get into Linux preferences?  (Read 1616 times)

zonka

• World Citizen
How to get into Linux preferences?
« on: March 04, 2018, 02:04:38 pm »

I have the Nuc Id - sorry for what may be a really silly question...I see no way to get into the Linux preferences to see if there is some kind of power saving things checked.  My receiver never sees the Nuc if I've been away from it for awhile.  I'm thinking it might be hibernating/sleeping but, using the given menu on the Nuc I don't see a way to get into Linux settings.
While I'm on that, I don't understand what those first three options on the Nuc's menu screen - they all seem to do the same thing - reboot the Nuc.

Thanks for any help:)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How to get into Linux preferences?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 03:38:03 pm »

There is no access to Linux other than through the text menu.

zonka

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 03:45:32 pm »

So is it possible that something is "sleeping/hibernating"?  Either Linux or JRiver?  I noticed when I exit out of Theater View a box pops up to confirm yes, exit, but there is something also about sleep/hibernate (if I remember correctly) but I don't know what that does.

Could this be what is keeping my receiver from seeing my Nuc?  I posted this in the hardware area but maybe it is better here if it is a software issue.  Every time I switch inputs on my tv to get to my receiver (and media player input on receiver) I get the no signal screen.  So I go to push the power button on the Nuc to reboot and within a few seconds of me pushing the power button to reboot all of a sudden my receiver gets the hdmi connection and I see the Linux screen just before the Nuc shuts down.  So I'm thinking this thing is going to sleep on me when I don't use it for awhile (I don't know how to "wake it" if this is the case).  This might cure most of my problems. 

Any ideas?

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 03:49:15 pm »

So is it possible that something is "sleeping/hibernating"?  Either Linux or JRiver?  ...  Could this be what is keeping my receiver from seeing my Nuc? 
No.  It's probably an HDMI problem. 

When it happens, you can get around it be rebooting the Id.  You can do that from Panel.  It requires Authentication to be set (login/password) on the Id. 

zonka

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 04:03:20 pm »

Weird that the minute I hit the button to reboot it suddenly recognizes it.  Is this something I'll have to do every time?  Rebooting every time I want to play something will be a pain - any permanent solutions you can think of?
Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 04:06:53 pm »

Try using Google to search for HDMI problems.  There are devices you can use.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 05:31:24 pm »

Every time I switch inputs on my tv to get to my receiver (and media player input on receiver) I get the no signal screen.
At that point, try hitting the space bar on your keyboard a couple of times. 

zonka

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 08:15:35 pm »

My remote doesn't have a spacebar option (and isn't programmable).  It is an Ortek - I may need to see if that works with an actual keyboard then buy a remote that I can map that with if it does.
Here's some new info, though - Just got home and turned on the stereo to the usual "no signal" from the receiver. I started hitting buttons on the remote (blind since I had no screen to see) and it started playing music when I hit play - but no screen.  So it appears to be a video only problem with hdmi....does this ring any bells or give you more insight into what the problem might be? 

Definitely getting closer:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up