INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: unable to prevent JRiver from reading CD/Bluray when inserted  (Read 3199 times)

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I've tried the various options under "Tools->Options->CD, DVD & BD" but none seem to prevent JRiver from accessing the optical drive when I insert a disc.  This is causing me issues with other software that I use for ripping (I don't want to use JRiver).

Found some old threads on this but they didn't help.

Is this possible?  Do I need to restart JRiver when changing these settings?

Thanks

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: unable to prevent JRiver from reading CD/Bluray when inserted
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 06:38:22 am »

Set what you want in the other program and in Windows.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 07:43:15 am »

Yup - that is done.  What happens is MakeMKV and JRiver try to access the drive at the same time and it freezes up both until I exit one or the other.

Looks like if under AutoPlay I select "Let Windows Handle" it seems to do the trick...  missed that option.

thanks

Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp

amsco15

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 04:05:33 pm »

This has come up before.  A switch within MC to disable reading the CD player would be awesome. 

I shut down MC when using dBpoweramp for ripping discs.  Shutting down MC makes reading the discs in dBpoweramp much smoother.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 04:49:41 pm »

This has come up before.  A switch within MC to disable reading the CD player would be awesome. 

I shut down MC when using dBpoweramp for ripping discs.  Shutting down MC makes reading the discs in dBpoweramp much smoother.
Theres no need for a "switch" this is windows 101
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 05:29:23 pm »

Not quite Windows 101.

I have MC, Windows, and the only other software running that reads an optical disc, DVDfab, all set to "Do Nothing".

But MC will still read any optical disc inserted and store information about it in its CD Database. "CD" being a carryover from earlier versions, as it stores information on DVD and Blu-ray optical discs as well.

If I am ripping a Blu-ray using DVDfab, MC often doesn't start reading the optical disc until I start the rip. It doesn't seem to detect the disc until I start the rip, or maybe I just don't wait long enough after inserting the disc for MC to do its thing. Usually, MC and DVDfab read the disc at the same time, which significantly slows down the rip until MC finishes, which takes a few minutes usually.

I'm not sure anything can be done about this though, as I want MC to put an entry into its CD Database for the disc. It isn't trying to play the disc. It is just reading the disc to create the database entry. Maybe if MC detected the disc faster it would finish its work before I started the rip using DVDfab. I've tried the "Let Windows Handle" setting before and it didn't improve things. Maybe I should try that again.

Anyway, the point is that there is more going on than just the Autoplay settings of Windows and other applications. I can live with the delayed rips, although the two applications do work my optical drive pretty hard for a few minutes!
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 05:37:43 pm »

I have MC, Windows, and the only other software running that reads an optical disc, DVDfab, all set to "Do Nothing".
Windows has its own role in this, and it's not a clean or reliable solution.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 06:37:20 pm »

Windows has its own role in this, and it's not a clean or reliable solution.

Yes, I understand that Jim. Windows Explorer, a fundamental part of Windows, will also briefly read every optical disc inserted to assign a drive letter and enable it to be listed in the drive/directory display. In fact, it may be Windows Explorer that is failing to notice the disc immediately and allow MC to read the disc for its CD Database. Or perhaps the delay is the time Explorer takes to finish its task.

But it is MC reading the disc that interferes with DVDfab during the start of the ripping process. MC even pops up a message to say what it is doing. Usually, only once I have started the rip.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 06:45:51 pm »

But it is MC reading the disc that interferes with DVDfab during the start of the ripping process.
You could look at it the other way around, I think, but the main problem is that the control is a slippery subject.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 08:37:23 pm »

You could look at it the other way around

I could, but MC doesn't seem to start doing its thing until I have started DVDfab, so it is MC jumping on board after DVDfab starts that is the issue.

In future I might try to find a way to force MC to do its thing before I start DVDfab. Perhaps clicking on the optical drive in "Drives & Devices" would do it.

But I agree, optical drives have always been difficult things under Windows. They take an age to initialise, slow other programs, and sometimes just aren't compatible. It just doesn't normally get noticed, because Windows gets the blame.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 03:11:48 am »

Shut down MC when ripping.  It's the only solution that works.

~OHM~

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 04:33:49 am »

Maybe a W10 thing. I use W7 and I do not have a problem with MC trying to open any type of media....oh well... may be it's my junky Del systems I use exclusively.
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Ashfall

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 08:48:57 am »

I've used Media Center since v19, and the only solution that has ever worked, despite all the various recommendations, is to shut down Media Center before inserting any optical disk.  This has applied to Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10 for me.  Otherwise MC will always check the optical disk, and sometimes popup a dialogue to let you know it's reading the disc, or if metadata lookup fails.  Other software that uses optical drives does not exhibit this behavior if left running when a disc is inserted.

I'll try the "let Windows handle" option again... it's been well over a year since I tried making this work.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 06:16:57 am »

that option i thought worked did not.   at least it did not work consistently.  can’t explain why on one disc it appeared to work but then on next disc/rip for makemkv that i inserted, MC tried to read the disc

i can see JRiver’s point of view here.   i just thought a setting of “Do Nothing” would completely disable MC from attempting to access the optical drive automatically.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 06:43:00 am »

I just thought a setting of “Do Nothing” would completely disable MC from attempting to access the optical drive automatically.

Well, those settings are really (Windows) Autoplay settings, and MC doesn't try to play the disc. It just reads what is on the disc, looks it up online, and creates a record in its CD Database.

Ashfall

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 08:40:45 am »

Well, those settings are really (Windows) Autoplay settings, and MC doesn't try to play the disc. It just reads what is on the disc, looks it up online, and creates a record in its CD Database.

OK, I've just disabled "Allow Automatic CD Lookup" in hopes that it will help.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 03:22:32 pm »

OK, I've just disabled "Allow Automatic CD Lookup" in hopes that it will help.

I think I tried turning that off as well. It's a while back. I think the issue persisted, and that setting just applies to the collection and sharing of metadata, but doesn't stop MC from adding the optical disc to its CD Database.

Let us know if that works for you.

Ashfall

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2018, 01:55:58 pm »

I think I tried turning that off as well. It's a while back. I think the issue persisted, and that setting just applies to the collection and sharing of metadata, but doesn't stop MC from adding the optical disc to its CD Database.

Let us know if that works for you.

Still no change.  I still get the usual "Analyzing Optical Disc" when inserting a DVD or CD, and have to wait for it to finish before other applications can access the drive.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2018, 03:21:04 pm »

I'm not surprised. It's just something we have to learn to live with, or work around by closing MC first, for example.

The real problem is that optical drives are so slow. I can't wait for multiple terabyte crystal memory wafers with 100Gbps Read/Write to be invented!  8)

~OHM~

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2018, 10:29:53 pm »

So I went back and took a look at what I possibly could of done to stop this behaviour and what I came up with is....I no longer have any file associations linked to MC and I'm pretty sure it's been that way from the get-go. one truly don't need this unless they still are of old school and doing everything through windows and windows explorer. So it's not that big a deal to give it a try...won't promise that it's what working for me but something is because I do not see what you guys are....just saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up