INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can MC24 64 and MC23 32 coexist?  (Read 1202 times)

Z0001

• Citizen of the Universe
Can MC24 64 and MC23 32 coexist?
« on: March 05, 2018, 03:54:57 pm »

Hi

U have MC 23 32 bit and want to line up MC 24 as 64 bit. Can I run both of a copy of the 32bit library until MC 24 is fully developed?

Thanks
Z

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Can MC24 64 and MC23 32 coexist?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 04:45:59 pm »

Generally speaking, yes.

But there are some caveats/issues to be aware of:
1. You can't run both at the same time. (Well, they may run if you turn on "Allow multiple instance to run at the one time"), but it may cause unknown issues.
2. Each time you switch from MC23 to MC24 or visa versa, the version you are running will ask to make some changes. You must allow these. MC is registering its version of components with Windows, which it must do to run, and each major version of MC has its own version of components.
3. If you do this, you should set both versions to do "Nothing" at Windows startup. i.e. No Media Center, no Media Server. You could allow the version you usually use to startup, but you will need to remember to shut it down before starting the other version.

Those are the major issues off the top of my head.

Of course, MC24 isn't available yet, and won't be for a couple of months.

You can also run the 32bit and 64bit versions of MC23 on the same machine if you would like to take a look at the 64bit, but there are similar issues to above. I did it for a while when the 64bit version first came out but decided it just wasn't worth the hassle after a short while. Your existing MC23 licence will work for both the 32bit and 64bit versions.

Why don't you just upgrade to MC23 64bit? Mind you, there are some issues, like Handheld Sync detection of devices doesn't work in MC23.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

ferday

• MC Beta Team
Re: Can MC24 64 and MC23 32 coexist?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 08:01:47 am »

i've been running 32 and 64 together with no issues since the first 64 build.  i haven't had a single problem.

YMMV of course, but if you name your shortcuts right you should be just fine.  make sure one is closed (including media server in the tray) before starting the other.

of course i can't speak to running MC23 and MC24 together.
Pages: [1]   Go Up