INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover art missing and license problem  (Read 1728 times)

jadew1957

Cover art missing and license problem
« on: March 05, 2018, 10:04:02 pm »

Was using Media Center 20, with no issues.
Continued to get JRiver mail about the great new performance of Media Center 24, to be released soon.  So I purchased an "upgrade" to Media Center 23, 24 to be available soon.
Well, every time I start the program, it has lost my license information.  When I reenter it, it emails me and tells me I've used one of a limited number of reactivations.

Not to mention that it lost a bunch of album covers when it imported my library.
And, to boot, there doesn't seem to be a place to email technical support.
Let's go on, apparently I registered as a forum user at some point, with the email I used to register the program.
Because when I tried to sign up in the hope of finding technical support, it said that my email was already registered.
When I went and entered that email for password help, it said that the account didn't exist.
Substandard, second rate, useless, all apply.
So, I registered a different email.

[ rant removed by JimH ]

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Flaky and disappointing to say the least
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 10:40:01 pm »

Hello, and welcome back to the forum.  :D

First the licence issue.
When you bought the MC23/24 licence, JRiver would have sent you an email from the address "buy-button@jriver.com". Attached to that email would have been an mjr file, with a name like "Media Center24 Windows-123456.mjr". That is your licence file, and if you saved that somewhere on your PC, then double clicked on it in Windows Explorer, MC23 would have been licenced and remembered your licencing when you start it in future. I have always found the "Enter Your Registration Code" method of applying the licence a bit of a pain and prone to keying errors. Using the mjr file has always worked reliably for me.

Now for your forum access issue, all you needed to do if you had forgotten your password was click the Login button without entering complete information (Green arrow), and then click the "Forgot your password?" link (Red arrow). Then JRiver would have sent you an email with a link to reset the password, or a new temporary password, with instructions to change it. I don't remember which because I remember my passwords. In fact, I have some software to remember all my passwords for me, and fill in the login screens of lots of sites. I use the free version of LastPass, but there are many others. You may wish to try one.

The "Account didn't exist" message is a bit of a concern. Make sure that you enter your email address accurately.

Now when you upgraded to MC23 it sounds like the upgrade process found your old MC20 Library and brought it over to MC23. But you are correct, the upgrade process doesn't bring the Cover Art folder across as well. If you had all your Cover Art embedded in your media files, you wouldn't have "lost" any Album Covers. But as you haven't done that, you will need to do just a little work to get everything back.

I'll be back with another post shortly for what to do.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 10:59:01 pm »

Now to get all your Cover Art back without redownloading any image files, all you need to do is go to "Options > File Location > Cover Art > Folder" and see where the old Cover Art is stored. It is probably in something like;

"C:\Users\[UserID]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 20\Cover Art\"

You have two choices now. If you are going to stick with MC23 then you can just edit that setting to change it to;

"C:\Users\[UserID]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 23\Cover Art\"

MC will either ask if you want it to move the Cover Art, or tell you it is moving the files. If it asks, say yes, and if required click the OK button until you are out of settings. Then check your Album Covers again. They should all be there.

If you want to keep running MC20 sometimes, then just copy the existing "Cover Art" directory to the new location and MC23 will find it.

Note also that what looked like missing Album Covers may just have been missing thumbnails of the Album Covers. MC needs to rebuild the thumbnail database for MC23, and that can take a little time. If you like you can use the main menu in Standard View to go to "Tools > Advanced Tools > Rebuild Missing Thumbnails..." and all the thumbnails will be built. You can check what percentage of thumbnails is built in "Help > System Info..."

All good now?

Have a nice day.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

InsaneRC

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 12:50:41 am »

The "Account didn't exist" you're probably not using the latest version 23.0.102, when I bought 24 I was not on the latest and got the same message.

Hope it helps
Licensed User:
JRiver Media Center 12-->27

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 03:06:13 am »

Ah. I thought jadew1957 was getting that message about a forum account.

If you saw a similar message during the upgrade process maybe it was to do with that. I guess we will have to wait for clarification.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Cover art missing and license problem
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 06:42:02 am »

Was using Media Center 20, with no issues.
Continued to get JRiver mail about the great new performance of Media Center 24, to be released soon.  So I purchased an "upgrade" to Media Center 23, 24 to be available soon.
Well, every time I start the program, it has lost my license information.  When I reenter it, it emails me and tells me I've used one of a limited number of reactivations.
That would happen if you didn't install MC23.

Install MC23, then restore the MC24 license.  It works with 23.0.102 or higher.

More here:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License
Pages: [1]   Go Up