INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can Nuc Id be wiped and replaced with Windows 7 or 10 software?  (Read 1572 times)

zonka

• World Citizen

I'm finding that the Id w/ Linux doesn't allow for the full experience with Media Center - some of the customizing isn't available and I'm FAR more comfortable in a Windows environment (plus I have a copy Windows 7 available but will buy Windows 10 if necessary). 
Is it possible to wipe the hard drive and start over with a Windows 7 (or10) install (then download and pay for a JRiver Windows license)?
If so, would I need a 64 bit or 32 bit copy of Windows?

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Can Nuc Id be wiped and replaced with Windows 7 or 10 software?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 03:58:21 pm »

If you've bought it in the last 30 days, please return it for a refund.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 02:12:10 am »

I'm finding that the Id w/ Linux doesn't allow for the full experience with Media Center - some of the customizing isn't available and I'm FAR more comfortable in a Windows environment (plus I have a copy Windows 7 available but will buy Windows 10 if necessary). 
Is it possible to wipe the hard drive and start over with a Windows 7 (or10) install (then download and pay for a JRiver Windows license)?
If so, would I need a 64 bit or 32 bit copy of Windows?

I've been experimenting with using Windows 8.1 on the Id hardware.  I had a spare 128 GB SSD and an unused copy of Windows 8.1 so I used those.  I re-formatted the SSD and installed the 32 bit version of Windows 8.1.  Then I installed MC 21, classic shell and ultra VNC.  Then I did a lot of setup work to getevertything configured as I wanted it.I verified that MC 21 produced audio output through  a USB DAC.  I could see and play music files on a NAS on my LAN with a wired connection to the LAN.  However, when I removed the Ethernet cable and tried to set up a WiFi connection, I found that Windows didn't list the WiFi adapter at all.  I need to use a WiFi connection in my application for the NUC.

After looking for device drivers for the NUC5CPYH hardware on the Intel site, I found drivers for the wireless adapter for Windows 8.1 64 bit but not for the 32 bit version.  I think that to continue the experiment, I'd have to reformat the SSD and install the 64 bit version of Win 8.1.  And then install MC 21, classic shell and UltraVNC and configure everything.  Doing it once was no fun; doing it again is not a pleasant prospect.  I don't install Windows on new hardware very often so the details about problems and solutions fades between uses of that information.

Windows 7 does not include support for USB 3.0 ports, so if you just try to install from a DVD, the keyboard and mouse will not be functional.
 There is info on the internet about getting USB 3.0 support into the install disk.   

In your shoes, I'd find a way to backup and prepare for restoration of the Id's drive before I installed Windows on the same SSD.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 12:24:59 pm »

In your shoes, I'd find a way to backup and prepare for restoration of the Id's drive before I installed Windows on the same SSD.

Clonezilla could be worth checking out.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 09:47:57 am »

After finding that the 32 bit version of Windows 8.1 had no WiFi support and Intel had no WiFi driver, I started over with the 64 bit version of Win 8.1.  It didn't have builtin support for the NUC's WiFi adapter so I downloaded the appropriate driver from thus Intel web page

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/85254/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC5CPYH

The Intel driver worked OK.

I now have the Id hardware running JRiver MC 21 under Windows 8.1 64 bit.  Some notes:

- I set the MC option to have MC run at Windows startup.
- I turned off Windows update and indexing for faster searches.
- I did not install Windows defender.
- No password for login
- headless operation seems to be working fine.  No problem with dialog windows stopping the startup process.

- CPU use is about 7 % during playback of 16/44.1 material.
- Memory usage (for everything) is below 1 GB.

I have not yet tried using any DSP features yet.

I ran MC on a headless dedicated Windows PC with Win XP and then Win 7 for years without problems.  So far, NUC+Win 8.1 will work too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up