INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Request] Add an Undo button  (Read 2137 times)

tyler69

• Citizen of the Universe
[Request] Add an Undo button
« on: March 10, 2018, 03:03:23 am »

Unless this is already available: I just removed a category I set up for Theater View but then realized that I could have left it there since. As you know, quite some amount of set-up time can be put into setting up those views. Therefore an easy way to "undo" a move might be beneficial.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: [Request] Add an Undo button
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 03:18:51 am »

Like Ctrl-Z or Edit > Undo?

Yeah, they are there.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

tyler69

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 03:56:55 am »

Yeah, something like that. Thanks. Just added an "Item to show" in theater view. Hitting CTRL-Z does not have any effect and I can't open "Edit" since for that I need to close the "Options" window. After closing the "Options" window, the "Undo" function in "Edit" is greyed out. Am I doing it wrong?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 05:41:51 am »

I've made plenty of mistakes in MC, and I have never found "Undo" to undo any of them. I'm not sure when works. It never does anything in the situations when I need it.

I just tried it again (added a song to a playlist then tried to undo it. Nothing. Of course it's easy to remove an item from a Playlist - but i was just testing to see if the "last command" could be undone.)

I don't know under what situations it works. There is nothing in the Wiki.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 07:05:28 am »

Unless this is already available: I just removed a category I set up for Theater View but then realized that I could have left it there since. As you know, quite some set-up time can be put into setting up those needed for those views. An easy way to "undo" a move might be beneficial.
You could restore a backup.  MC makes them automatically.

tyler69

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 07:40:41 am »

Thanks JimH for your solution proposal.
A backup restores everything that was set at a particular time, a snapshot so to say. An undo option just reverses the last user entry. While doing a backup can solve a messed up setup (and can also lead to an even more messed up setup), in my view those things serve different purposes. Because of that, I would not recommend anybody to use a backup when he asks for an undo option.
I assume that is a "No" to my suggestion above?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 08:17:04 am »

Ctrl+z only works to undo the last tag changes, not changes to the program itself, such as removing a view scheme.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 08:38:59 am »

We don't have any changes planned here.  If you're going to do something significant, you could back up your library (and settings) first.

tyler69

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 08:46:23 am »

OK, thanks for claryfing. So in summary: "undo" in MC is for tagging only. All other changes are to be undone using MC's backup functionality.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 03:06:08 pm »

Well, I never said it worked everywhere!  ;D

On lots of programs that have an undo function it only works in certain situations, where it makes sense and isn't too complicated.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

CountryBumkin

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 07:19:14 am »

Ctrl+z only works to undo the last tag changes, not changes to the program itself, such as removing a view scheme.

That explains it. Can someone add this info to the Wiki so others can learn?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 07:45:42 pm »

That explains it. Can someone add this info to the Wiki so others can learn?

As there has been no confirmation what the code actually does, I added a note to the Ctrl-Z Keyboard Hot-Keys entry. https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Keyboard_Hot-keys
Pages: [1]   Go Up