INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exclusions for Antivirus Software  (Read 1011 times)

kwake

• World Citizen
  • Excellent piece of software, this Media Center...
Exclusions for Antivirus Software
« on: March 10, 2018, 05:01:33 am »

Personally, I don't feel very safe adding any exclusions for any program from my virus scanners.

False positives should be worked out between the software developer and the virus scanner developer to get it sorted without the need for any exclusions.

Is it just me being overly conservative, or is the liberal mindset a bit too free-wheeling?

Kwake

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Exclusions for Antivirus Software
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 06:46:26 am »

Personally, I don't feel very safe adding any exclusions for any program from my virus scanners.
False positives should be worked out between the software developer and the virus scanner developer to get it sorted without the need for any exclusions.
As I understand it, the issue is (mostly) not false-positives, but that Media Center can be dealing with libraries consisting of tens or hundreds of thousands of files, and during many operations the anti-virus is scanning every file in the current view.
This can cause the program to hang for an extended period of time, which is not a great user experience and it can be a real problem on lower-end machines.
And some people intentionally build low-end systems for audio because they think it will somehow improve audio quality (it won't).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 06:54:33 am »

Is it just me being overly conservative, or is the liberal mindset a bit too free-wheeling?

Kwake
You have to decide which programs you trust and set the AV software accordingly.  Otherwise, nothing may run.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 11:29:28 am »

Kwake
NeverMind
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”
Pages: [1]   Go Up