INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't find NAS after upgrade!  (Read 2180 times)

AudioVideophile

• Recent member
Can't find NAS after upgrade!
« on: March 12, 2018, 04:31:12 pm »

I've just upgraded to MC 23. My computer is Windows 10 with all the latest updates (i.e. Fall Creator's Update). I see that my Main library shows about 38,000 items, which seems correct. However, the items are not showing up under album, artist, etc. Also, when I go to select a folder to add to the NAS, the NAS no longer shows up under Network. So I'm not entirely sure the problem is due to MC 23. I was previously on MC 20. I know that Fall Creator's Update has caused problems with other software I own. I don't know if the upcoming MC 24, which I will get through my MC 23 license, addresses any of these issues. To summarize:
- Main library shows approximate number items, but does not display or allow me to play any of them
- Cannot select NAS from Network dialog, only shows computer
- PC has latest Windows updates, which may be part of the problem

Look forward to any suggestions!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can't find NAS after upgrade!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 05:10:13 pm »

You probably need to turn SMBv1 back on in Windows 10, unless your NAS supports SMBv2 or SMBv3, or the new Windows Discovery standard.

See https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114852.0.html, and in particular the link to the Microsoft article.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 05:11:59 pm »

If you already have the files in your library, but cannot play them anylonger, then its likely not related to the network discovery. I would make sure that Windows can actually reach the NAS, only if that is the case then MC can also talk to it.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 05:12:11 pm »

I don't think my NAS was ever visible under JR drives and devices, but it still worked.  You need to look in Windows.  If Windows cannot see it, JR cannot either.  I doubt that JR caused the problem, and JR cannot fix it if Windows cannot see the NAS.  If it does not show on your Network in Windows, you must first figure out why - network or permissions issue? 

If you resolve it in Windows and you need to assign a Drive letter to the NAS, just make sure it is the same one you were using before.  If in doubt, the file path tag for any track in your library will contain that.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 06:19:40 pm »

If you already have the files in your library, but cannot play them anylonger, then its likely not related to the network discovery. I would make sure that Windows can actually reach the NAS, only if that is the case then MC can also talk to it.

If the NAS requires SMBv1 to make Shares available to a client, either due to settings or capability, and the library was created before the Windows 10 update to Build 1709, and Auto Import has "Fix Broken Links" set to "No" or "Yes (protect files on missing drives)", then the files will appear in MC but cannot be played. MC will pop up a message saying "File not found" or similar. They will, in fact, have an icon to the left of the record in MC being a red circle with a white horizontal line through it in some MC Views, for example the Artists detail View.

Indeed it needs to be fixed in Windows, and not in MC.

I don't think my NAS was ever visible under JR drives and devices, but it still worked.  You need to look in Windows.  If Windows cannot see it, JR cannot either.  I doubt that JR caused the problem, and JR cannot fix it if Windows cannot see the NAS.  If it does not show on your Network in Windows, you must first figure out why - network or permissions issue? 

If you resolve it in Windows and you need to assign a Drive letter to the NAS, just make sure it is the same one you were using before.  If in doubt, the file path tag for any track in your library will contain that.

I can see my Shares under "Drives & Devices > Explorer > Network > MC Server Name" and open those Shares to see the contents. It is extremely slow to initially populate the view, but it works and once populated is relatively quick.

If AudioVideophile is using a NAS then he could be using URIs (i.e. a Share named \\NAS-Name\Music) rather than mapped drive letters, in which case there is no need to map them now. The file path tag will confirm what was being used before though.

Of course, the NAS could be running a DLNA Server, and that could be how MC found the files. But I hope he isn't doing that, as it isn't an ideal setup.

There are a bunch of discussions on the internet about NAS's not working after the 1709 update. There may be a specific solution for the NAS AudioVideophile has, which doesn't require SMBv1, or if an older NAS it may require SMBv1 to be turned back on again.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

AudioVideophile

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 01:52:27 pm »

The private network and discovery options already appeared to be correct, so there was nothing to change. I also noticed that when I double-click on the Computer icon, I do see the NAS. When I click on the NAS I don't get the usual Public and Share folders, but rather I get Music, Photo, and Video. However, even these folders I cannot see from the dialog in MC. Where's this new folder mapping coming from? How can I "see" folders or the NAS from within MC?

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 02:58:15 pm »

The private network and discovery options already appeared to be correct, so there was nothing to change. I also noticed that when I double-click on the Computer icon, I do see the NAS. When I click on the NAS I don't get the usual Public and Share folders, but rather I get Music, Photo, and Video. However, even these folders I cannot see from the dialog in MC. Where's this new folder mapping coming from? How can I "see" folders or the NAS from within MC?
I think your just seeing the windows generic folders....

depending on the type of Nas....some have a tool to download to discover the Nas and folders contained on it...not the windows generic ones you see....you may need to go to the brand name of the Nas board for more info....

You don't mention if you tried RoderickGI info on the SMBv

“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

AudioVideophile

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 04:51:53 pm »

I have a 15Tb Lacie 5big network2 NAS from several years ago. I've tried searching their site regarding SMB support. Even sent them an email but have not heard back.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 04:57:06 pm »

Specifically, you need to do this in addition to making the network Private and turning on Network Discovery:
First, open the Service App and change the "Function Discovery Provider Host" and "Function Discovery Resource Publication" services to a Startup Type of Automatic (Delayed Start).

See the link to my thread above.

AudioVideophile

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 05:03:29 pm »

Specifically, you need to do this in addition to making the network Private and turning on Network Discovery:
First, open the Service App and change the "Function Discovery Provider Host" and "Function Discovery Resource Publication" services to a Startup Type of Automatic (Delayed Start).

See the link to my thread above.
The first one was already set as Automatic (delayed start). So I set the second one as that too. Then I rebooted. Didn't see any difference.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 05:04:35 pm »

If the lack of SMBv1 is the problem, then those won't help, and if existing/known files can no longer be accessed, its a more likely scenario then discovery. Honestly I blame NAS vendors for not updating beyond SMBv1 over the last decade or so. Its been a long time coming.

You can turn SMB v1.0 support back on in Windows by going to "Turn Windows features on or off" (just search for this in the start menu), and enabling "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support" -> "SMB 1.0/CIFS Client"
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

AudioVideophile

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 05:07:31 pm »

Not sure what I should do. I don't think re-enabling SMBv1 is the right choice. I haven't tried mapping the drive. I can try that next, although it may require a full rescan of all files.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 05:21:45 pm »

That sounds like a good plan. If you can avoid turning SMBv1 back on, that would be best. It was turned off for good reason.

But keep researching/harassing Lacie as well. They should have a proper fix, or at least information on what to do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up