INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC9.1 Sorting in View Schemes  (Read 1311 times)

gkerber

MC9.1 Sorting in View Schemes
« on: June 16, 2003, 09:52:09 pm »

Consider this view, Artist-Grouped/Artist/Album/Name

The display confuses me.  Artist-Grouped, makes sense, then comes artist and I see all my arists in sorted order.  But when I get to Album, I would expect to see the AC/DC albums, then the Adams, Bryan, and then the Aerosmith albums and so on, I would expect the Album listing to follow the Artist listing.  Same with the Name pane, it's totally sorted, but I would think it should follow the Album pane.

I was somehow expecting it to follow the grid display at the bottom, but it doesn't.

Then again, if it did, then it would have to follow the sort order we've defined for the grid display...

I'm having trouble with the value of the panes for the reasons listed above.  However, I think I am just missing something, can anyone explain the value of all this?

Think about it, if I double click an artist in the Artist pane, would I want all the songs on all the albums to play in sorted order???  That's what it does.  In the old tree, if I double clicked on an artist, it would play all the tracks for that artist in the sort order I defined, now I seem to lost that feature, did I?

I know I can highlight all the tracks in the grid display, which still follows the sort order, but that's way more work than what I had before.  When I want to "play" an artist, I can't imagine wanting to play it in alphabetical order, which puts track order way out of whack.  Other than highlighting all the tracks in the grid pane, how can I play an artist in album order, rather than track alpha order?

I just think I am missing something.  I have not been using 9.1 long, so help me out to understand what I am gaining?  I read others that like it, so what am I missing?

Kambriel

• Junior Woodchuck
  • That's all I have to say about that...
Re: MC9.1 Sorting in View Schemes
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2003, 10:01:40 pm »

What I would expect to see happen in the view above (and you need to work these left to right as if it were top to bottom)

Click (once) on A, it would filter the list to show all the A artists. (The bottom window will show all songs from all the artist albums that start with A.)

THEN click on AC/DC and it would filter the list to show all the AC/DC albums. (The bottom window will show all the songs from all the AC/DC albums.)

Then if you click on AC/DC -v1, it would filter the list to show all the songs on that album in the bottom window.

Then if you click on the name of one of the songs on the album, the bottom window will only show that one song.

See? Each step along the view path will filter the total list down a bit more.

Edit: btw, the bottom window can be a bit tricky... you have to click the tabs in the reverse order you want the numbers to get a multiple sort. :)
This Space Intentionally Left Blank

gkerber

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2003, 10:11:38 pm »

Yea, I see that, but what is the use?  I can't figure out why I'd ever want to see my track names in alpha order.  Maybe having NAME is the problem.

So far, it seems like I lost screen real estate on the right side, because now I am required to have panes to find anything, whereas before I could let that detail work itself out in the left tree.

I really want to be missing something, new things take time before one can see the value, if there is a value.  I'm struggling.

Kambriel

• Junior Woodchuck
  • That's all I have to say about that...
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2003, 10:38:45 pm »

I don't see a point in having a NAME included in the view... when you get down to that far in the view it'll show the names at the bottom anyway. :)

As far as real estate, and why the tree went away, my guess is that you can select from different sorting schemes quickly. (I tried to come up with some sorting scheme you'd need and why you'd need it, but so far I've only used Album, Artist/Album, and Volume/Artist/Album.)

But some people have HUGE libraries of music, and if they want to find all the songs containing the word 'grape' but weren't sung by Moby, I'm sure they can configure the views to do it. :)

Keep at it, many people say that they wouldn't go back to the tree once they've experience the views. :D
This Space Intentionally Left Blank

NoCodeUK

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2003, 04:56:46 am »

gkerber,

I would agrre with the previous post that you probably no longer need the name in your Scheme.  Think of the bottom pane as the name field.  As for the sorts I have asked for this too.  MC has always had a tendency to prefer alphabetized sorting over chronological sorting or artist sorting (and preferably both).  To me alpha sorting is fine for computer files but music is something that is released chronologically so should be sorted this way.  I agree with you wholeheartedly that this should be sorted, however generally i think you will find that once the niggles are sorted the new scheme is much better for searching through your media.  I have found it perfect for doing discos with, which is something I would not really have considered MC for before.  Just stick with it and it'll grow on you

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2003, 05:13:06 am »

think of having a calculated field [track# - name] as the rightmost column and a configurable lower pane that holds playing now, visualization or the 'list' as it is now (including thumbnails)

Pages: [1]   Go Up