INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request: Ability to save warning messages about problem files to a text document  (Read 1600 times)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

When files fail to autoimport, or there is a tagging error, we get notified. However, once you dismiss that notification, which might be very large if you have to re-import your whole library, there's no way to find which files were affected. Can we get the ability to save the notification text to a file, so we can peruse and take action later?

leezer3

• MC Beta Team

Copy it to the clipboard by default?

Only thing I don't like about that approach is that I might already have something on the clipboard :(
A button to do that would be just fine though.

Don't particularly think that saving the report to a file per-se is necessary.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

I'll make the next build of MC24 also save the tagging error log to the desktop.  Thanks for the idea.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

How about a save button or link that does that?

Hendrik

• Administrator

A button seems better then littering the desktop with files. I may have read it and done something about it, having a file show up then seems annoying.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

How about just copying it to the clipboard so a user can save it to a file if they want?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator

Better than nothing, but a Save button would be still better, in my opinion.

MusicHawk

Much-needed capability. Please be sure it saves ALL types of notifications, such as MC "failing" to write tags to a file, because that seems to be a one-time notification that might identify a problem that is otherwise not discoverable. Letting the on-screen list of "failed" files simply vanish can lead to long-term or forever problems.

For instance, my current huge MC project is organizing family photos, more than 60 thousand so far. At times MC displays a failure report when I tag a batch of photos. Usually it works normally, but sometimes MC pops up a list (very long at times) of files that did not get updated from the database, MC suggesting something is read-only, for instance though that is not the actual cause. I've been having to write down all the file names so I can go back and manually force them to update -- which always works, the error never repeats.

The photo file update failure is a mystery, but with this change I'll be a big step closer to tracking it down, or at least being able to know which files to manually update. Thank you.

PS: Any chance of putting this into MC23, since it will likely be a while before MC24 is safe enough for critical work?

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

JimH

• Administrator

Nothing new will be added to MC23.  All work is now focused on MC24.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

Better than nothing, but a Save button would be still better, in my opinion.

Would I be pushing it to ask for a copy to clipboard AND a save to file option?  ;D

Perhaps we can set a location in Options>File Location that can be used to save these?

Or that option gets set the first time you save a notification message if you haven't already configured it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up