INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FLAC files being sent as mp3 to DLNA receiver, without transcode enabled  (Read 2065 times)

disneyandbond

• Recent member

Hi - have been using JRiver to listen to my FLAC files on Yamaha for years, just upgraded to V23 from V16 to support development (and bought iOS app). Music collection is FLAC files stored on NAS. NAS and receiver both hardwired to network, JRiver being used on computers that are wireless. 

I have a major issue that I didn't have before: I can see my Yamaha RXA-1070 as a zone in JRiver, and can send music there using "Send to..." just like always, but when I do that the Yamaha says that the file is MP3 (and the music sounds thin - honestly it sounds worse than the integrated Spotify, so bad that even my wife pointed it out!)

FLAC is definitely supported by this receiver. AND...I still have JRiver v16 loaded on my laptop, and if I send it the exact same source file as a "send to", the Yamaha sees it properly as FLAC (and it sounds full, like it is supposed to).

I have transcode turned OFF in the v23 settings. Is there some other key setting I'm missing? Happy to post screenshots of settings etc to get this figured out - controlling my FLAC collection is my sole use for JRiver so having the music sent as poor sounding MP3 is a major issue.  Thanks in advance for your help.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Something changed in one of the later versions of MC23 that altered what it was doing with DLNA.  I saw the issue because it stopped advancing tracks on a Google Home, but then also noticed that it was transcoding the files:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114694.0.html

In an older version, whatever settings I had were being ignored and sending FLAC files.  Starting after .84 it started to actually do the conversion that I had setup.  Perhaps you're seeing the same thing.

disneyandbond

• Recent member

THANK YOU!!! I read your old thread, and went through my settings for DLNA server as outlined in your post, turns out mine had the same issue as you - MP3 transcode setting listed in there for the Generic DLNA (??). When changed to Original, now the Yamaha sees the file sent to it as FLAC (and sounds good again, hooray). I was thrown off by the setting for Client Library where I had already told it not to transcode audio, but apparently this was irrelevant to the DLNA.

I should add that I too am not sure why it was marked as MP3, I have never (even in older v16) used JRiver to listen in a converted MP3 format only to send native FLAC files to be decoded by my receiver. When I installed v23 on this machine it was a clean install so unless something is tied to my license, this setting is inherent in v23 itself.

For future reference for anyone searching the boards:

OLD SETTINGS (bad)

NEW SETTINGS (good)

IRRELEVANT SETTINGS
Pages: [1]   Go Up