INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NUC7I3BNH as HTPC and MC Library Server  (Read 1553 times)

chris13

• Junior Woodchuck
NUC7I3BNH as HTPC and MC Library Server
« on: March 21, 2018, 03:14:42 pm »

Hello,

I am considering buying an Intel NUC7I3BNH which shall act as the HTPC/Library Server.
The data itself will be located on a NAS.
My plan is to use Windows 10 as the operating software.

The HTPC/Library Server shall fulfill the following requirements:
1. HTPC/Library Server shall be nearly silent
2. HTPC/Library Server will run 24/7, therefore shall be energy-efficient
3. It shall be possible to run the HTPC/Library Server headless (in case of Audio-only)
4. HTPC/Library Server shall be able to process Hi-Res Audio and Full HD (no 4k planned currently)
5. Of course JRiver MC installed ;)

Now you may think the NUC version of the ID will satisfy all of these requirements. Currently I own the IdPi and for my purpose as a Media Player (Library Client) it is great! My Windows-PC acts as the Library Sever. The setup is ok, but I want to turn my PC off when listening to music or watching videos.

The limitations I discovered for using the IdPi as the Media Server for my use case is the different OS (Windows/Linux), i.e. direct access to the files from the Library Client.
If I perform a handheld sync from the Windows PC (Client) the files have to be downloaded before sync. This will take a long time. My hope is to resolve this issue by using the same OS on both Server and Client due to the same file path (Network volume mapped to the same drive letter).

Before spending more money I would appreciate if someone more experienced with this topic could answer the following questions:

1. Is the NUC7I3BNH capable to fulfill the requirements stated above?
2. Is my assumption of resolving the issue regarding handheld sync from Client resolved by using the same file path on Client/Server?
3. Is it possible to apply DSP (e.g. Volume Leveling) on handheld sync if performed from the Client?

Thank you for your support!!

robt

• Galactic Citizen
Re: NUC7I3BNH as HTPC and MC Library Server
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 04:34:29 pm »

I have a NUC6i3SYH which I have used as an MC server with audio and video stored remotely on a NAS. It was perfectly capable of fulfilling this role along with hi res audio and 1080p blu ray rip playback. I don't think you will be disappointed with its performance and 24/7 operation is what its designed for.

I currently use the NUC as a client in my lounge with a desktop based i3 as the server. The NUC is an amazing piece of hardware design and you wont be disappointed. You are right to think that 4k is probably a step too far.

I cant comment on the hand held sync as I've never used it for that purpose.

chris13

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: NUC7I3BNH as HTPC and MC Library Server
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 03:36:41 pm »

Thank you for your reply.
This makes me more confident to buy this computer. Even if there could be some limitations on the client side i could also just maintain two separate libraries. Due to the same OS and same file paths, import/export of playlists should be easy.

Pages: [1]   Go Up