INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help with sync  (Read 2381 times)

Thouston

• Recent member
Need help with sync
« on: March 24, 2018, 02:50:24 pm »

I run JRiver on 3 laptops. One for my main system, one for my bedroom system, and one to use as a remote. Annually; I back up my hardrives, format my laptops and re-install Windows 10.  I backed up my music folder to an external hard drive. I re-installed JRiver on my main system laptop and re-installed my music folder from the external harddrive. I did the exactly the same for the bedroom laptop. Here is the problem, when I installed a new music file on the main laptop and try to sync the bedroom laptop it tries to sync all 16000 files, like it is not seeing the existing music folder. I ran into this problem last year and just deleted the bedroom laptop music files and let it sync with the main laptop, which took a couple of days. I would like to avoid doing that again. Any solutions?
Thanks

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Need help with sync
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 05:05:42 pm »

MC didn't sync the music files from your main laptop to the bedroom laptop, so it doesn't know about the files on there, even though it should be able to see them. It doesn't have the information in its internal database for the sync.

The best chance for a quick fix is if the right click "Rebuild Database" command is available to you on the main laptop when looking at the bedroom laptop under "Drives & Devices". Select bedroom laptop Device, right click it and check. That should find all the files on the bedroom laptop and include them as "On Device" under the bedroom laptop Device file listing. Note that command doesn't always appear, but if you have the bedroom laptop drive mapped on the main laptop, so it is just seen as a drive letter, it should be there and should work.

I don't think the "Recheck Sync" function will fix the issue.

If that doesn't work the only other way that may work is to force MC to re-evaluate the bedroom laptop as a Device. That is, on the main laptop, delete the Device that is defined for the bedroom laptop, perhaps reboot both machines so they start clean, then add a new Device back on the main laptop for the bedroom laptop, with all your previous setting. Perhaps with a new name, so that MC doesn't use the information it previously had. But you could try with the same name if you wish first. When you add the new Device MC will try to read the files already on the Device, and include them in its database if you answer the question to allow MC to manage the files.

BTW I assume that you are using MC23 since you posted in this forum, and I hope you are using the latest, at least MC23.0.102, but are you using the 32 or 64 bit version of MC?

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Sync_Handheld
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Handheld_Sync_Options
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Thouston

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 05:29:09 pm »

Thanks for the reply. I am using version 23.0.103 64 bit.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 06:53:29 pm »

The 64 bit version doesn't work with devices that can't be seen as drive letters in Windows Explorer yet, but as long as you have a mapped drive on your main laptop for your bedroom laptop, for use with the sync, what you are doing should work.

Try the rebuild database function.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Thouston

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 06:09:14 am »

What does the library clone do? Do you think if I saved a library clone from the main to a flash drive and opened it with the bedroom, that the bedroom system would start seeing the same library as the main?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 06:27:16 am »

Did you try the rebuild database function to get the Handheld Sync functionality working as per your original question?

What does the library clone do?

Makes a copy of the library you current have open, and shows it in the current MC installation. Remember, a library doesn't include the media files. It is just the index to the media files you have "imported" (really MC just indexes the files) in MC.

Do you think if I saved a library clone from the main to a flash drive and opened it with the bedroom, that the bedroom system would start seeing the same library as the main?

I wouldn't do that. If the main and bedroom installations are identical, then you can just backup the library on the main laptop and restore it on the bedroom laptop and that would work fine. But it wouldn't move or copy the media files.

Have a read of this thread to get some more ideas: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114430.0.html

Thouston

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 10:46:59 am »

I don't need to move or copy the media files. They are already there. The media files are exactly the same on both laptops. The bedroom laptop just tries to download all the files again when I try to sync it with the main system laptop. I need to find a way to tell the bedroom laptop to only sync the new media files added to the main.
As far as the handheld sync function; there is none.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 05:18:24 pm »

Okay, I thought from your first post that you were trying to use "Handheld Sync" to move the files from the main to bedroom laptop. But you must have been trying to use "Sync Library", which is an older cruder tool.

Now you are telling me you don't need to move or copy media files. Although your initial post talked about installing a new music file to the main laptop and trying to sync to the bedroom laptop. Your description of having to sync 16000 files made me think you were using Handheld Sync. But Sync Library also does that on a new installation.

But you also mention a laptop used as a remote control. I overlooked that. I can only conclude that you must be using "Media Network", and what you are actually trying to do is sync just the library from the main to bedroom laptop. But if you were just trying to use Media Network then the comment about syncing 16000 files makes no sense at all.

Note:
"Sync Library" is found at "File > Library > Sync Library" and tries to copy the library and all media files from one PC to another. You run it on the Client by connecting to a MC Server, and it copies the Server library and media files to the Client PC. Hence it requires a MC Server to be running. I think it was the precursor to the "Media Network" functionality.

"Handheld Sync" is found under "Options > Handheld" and also under "Drive & Devices" once it is set up. It is used to sync media files from an instance of MC to a handheld device or to a hard disk sub-directory, and can therefore be used to copy media files to a networked PC for which a drive mapping has been set up.

"Media Network" is found under "Options > Media Network" and is used to set up a MC Server so that a MC Client can connect to the server and play music, and also so that another laptop can connect to the MC Server and act as a remote control. Media Network doesn't move files around, it just streams the files to the MC Client when playback on the Client is required.

So, you need to explain what you are trying to do again.

Did you used to run the main laptop all the time as a media server, and play both from it and from the bedroom laptop as required, and use the third laptop as a remote control for the main laptop?

PS: In case you missed the embedded link above, read https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Network

Thouston

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 08:57:20 pm »

This is what I did step by step
1) I backed up the main laptop music folder that has 16000+ music files to an external harddrive.
2) Reformatted main laptop harddrive and reinstalled Windows 10
3) Reinstalled JRiver
4) Reloaded music folder.
5) Reformatted bedroom laptop harddrive and reinstalled Windows 10
6) Reinstalled JRiver
7) Reloaded music folder.
8) Added a couple of new music files to the main laptop.
9) Tried to Sync Library from the bedroom laptop (to add the two new music files) and it tries to download all 16000+ files from the main laptop; even though it has exactly the same music folder loaded as the main laptop.
Note: I have always used Sync Library to keep the two laptops music folders in sync.
I just use the 3rd laptop as a remote. I do not have any music files on it.
Thanks

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 10:33:43 pm »

Okay. I misunderstood in assuming you were using the Handheld Sync functionality. But Sync Library has similar shortcomings to Handheld Sync in some ways.

Note: I have always used Sync Library to keep the two laptops music folders in sync.

I see that you joined the forum in 2016. Is that when you started using MC?

I ask because the "Sync Library" only seems to work if it is used to sync the media files initially, and then it will incrementally sync new files and update the library of the Client (bedroom laptop) after that... until you reinstall Windows 10 again, at which time MC loses knowledge of what it has synchronised before.

So in 2016 the Sync Library function worked correctly, because you used it initially until the reinstall in 2017.
You have already said the same thing happened last year, in 2017, and you ended up deleting the files off the bedroom laptop and running Sync Library again, taking two days. After which MC knew what it had already synced and only copied across new files... until the Windows 10 reinstall this year.
Now you have the same problem, because Sync Library doesn't know what it has synced before, and it doesn't seem to have the capability to read what is already in the target directory.

Personally, I think Sync Library is old functionality that has just been left in MC because some people use it. I think it has been superseded by the Library (not media files) sync capabilities of Media Network. Although Sync Library is useful for the first-time setup of a second PC based on the existing setup of a first PC. I can't see any way to force Sync Library to take existing files on a second PC into account.

So frankly I wouldn't be using Sync Library, because it doesn't work the way you want it to work. If you had read the thread I pointed to (https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114430.0.html) you would have learned of some other options, and the pitfalls of such options. The user there selected the paid for GoodSync to synchronise files rather than MC, in a similar situation to yours, but there are free sync programs that could sync new files to the bedroom laptop, and as long as those files were all tagged correctly first, including Cover Art tags inside the file, they would import into the library on the bedroom laptop without major concerns. There are some issues with that method, and they are discussed in the thread.

Of course if the main laptop is always on (or sleeping and could be woken automatically) and available to stream to the bedroom laptop via your network, then the better solution is to use Media Network and you wouldn't need to copy the files to the bedroom laptop. Since you are using a laptop as a remote control, you must already have Media Network turned on.

So those are my recommendations; use a separate file sync tool, or use Media Network. It's up to you whether you adopt either approach.

PS: If you had restored a Library backup from the bedroom laptop after reinstalling Windows, the Sync Library function may have continued to work. If you have a copy of a MC backup from before the Windows reinstall, you could try that. Note that MC automatically makes regular backups of its library, so there should have been several on the bedroom laptop before the reinstall.

You don't say anything about saving MC library backups from either the main or bedroom laptops. I hope you aren't re-importing all your media files and losing any custom views etc. because of this reinstall.

Thouston

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 06:53:54 am »

I backed up my documents jriver folder before the re-install of the bedroom computer.
I loaded a back up from earlier this month. It didn't make any difference.
I am going to try to find time to read that thread thoroughly and try a few things this evening.
I really appreciate your help.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 05:08:00 pm »

Did you restore settings when you restored the JRiver MC Library Backup?

Any information about previous Sync Library activity may have been stored in the registry, and hence part of the MC settings. But I can't confirm that.

I hope that thread helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up