INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Cleaning File Properties", Title Case, and Mc-Names...  (Read 1529 times)

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
"Cleaning File Properties", Title Case, and Mc-Names...
« on: March 25, 2018, 02:07:12 am »

When "Cleaning File Properties" how does everyone else handle "Mc" names like The McCalmans or McDonald? JRiver turns McDonald into Mcdonald. Or UFO or other names? This has bugged me for over 10 years.  I like Title Case, but it needs some kind of "Exception Library".

Is there a work around? Other software programs handle this.

Thanks!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: "Cleaning File Properties", Title Case, and Mc-Names...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 11:46:28 am »

Or UFO or other names?

There's a file in the data folder named CapitalizationAllCaps.txt.  I'll add UFO right now.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 01:25:48 am »

That is so cool, Matt. So we can edit that file? I didn't know. I guess we should send you terms to include as we come across them, like MCA.

Now how about all the Celtic McNames and similar? I can see some people refer to Media Center as MC, so that is another factor.

Thanks!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 08:47:50 am »

Now how about all the Celtic McNames and similar? I can see some people refer to Media Center as MC, so that is another factor.

I'll make the next build handle strings that start with Mc and make it capitalize the next letter after the c.  Thanks for the idea.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 08:09:39 pm »

Over the years I have a few of these names that have weird capitalization situations (I had 870 files with Mc's in my database when I searched!). Many can be solved with that CapitalizationAllCaps.txt file, though some, like the Mc names, are different. With modern musicians sometimes using non standard capitalization in names and the use of other languages it must be a problem. Many music files have "feat." or "vs" in them which I think look better without caps.

Is there a user editable file for unusual capitalization words, an "Exception List" so to speak? If not that would be a good addition to the software. Bonus if there is a GUI to it in the "Clean File Properties" dialog, for ease of use. You may have to merge the CapitalizationAllCaps.txt into a CapitalizationExceptions.txt. That may be better than us having to send you words and then us perhaps not always agreeing on the rules. Though us adding to the defaults might be a good idea, too.

So, yeah, I would like a way via "Clean File Properties" to customize capitalization stuff.

Thanks again, Matt!
Pages: [1]   Go Up